Finish building but nothing is on monitor screen?

unsung8841

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Hi guys I finally finish building my computer and everything is where they should be. I connect my monitor to a DVI plug and the monitor is turn on and the computer is turn on but nothing is displaying on screen? Did I do something wrong? Thanks

Any ideas?

Full system spec:

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750

Mobo: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

PSU: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Graphic Card: SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CD/DVD ROM: LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Mouse: G500

Keyboard: G15

Monitor: ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

unsung8841

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Thanks for that link. I try everything on it and nothing is working. I'm out of ideas. My VGA card is all the way in as well.

My motherboard come with on board led, and the problem is the VGA led. But I don't know if my VGA card which is brand new is faulty or my power of the psu is somehow not connecting to the VGA or if the VGA is not fully attach in. Once again I am out of idea, been spending the whole day trying to see what is wrong. Do notes this is the first time I am building a computer so I am just not sure what is going on.

What is a bootable cd?

Do I need to install the motherboard CD for anything to be display first? I have a hitch that might be the problem but I don't know the VGA Led is on, and there is an error or else it wouldn't turn on.

unsung8841

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

Yes all the fans are spinning and everything work. I believe now the problem is my graphic card, I think I will put the graphic card in the other PCI-E slot and see if that work. Yes I have a motherboard speaker but it very hard to hear for some reason. My mobo point to the GPA as the error since it has on board led. I am so close to being done, it pretty frustrating, hopefully the other slot help. I even took out the memory but that didn't do anything. The error is the GPA and not my monitor, because it work fine with my 360.

If this doesn't work I'm running out of ideas.

unsung8841

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

It work now! The problem is as you mention, I didn't realize I had to plug both PCI-E plug into the Graphic card, now everything work fine, I wish I knew that earlier. I found out today before you told me but great advice nonetheless. What end up happening was the PCI-E had 6 pin while the PCI-E 2 has 6 pin and an extra 2 pin so that is why I didn't think I need 2 pin but I gave it a shot and it work!

Thanks a lot guys

unsung8841

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

I don't have a router nor do I have a wireless adapter.

Would anyone here have a link to how to configure the BIOS and what driver to install after installing window, I have no clue what to do now. Thanks

Do you have a modem? Dial up connection? Without a router or wireless adapter, you can't do a wireless connection. If you have a modem, you simply need to run an Ethernet cable between the modem and PC. Then install the software.

What do you want to configure in the BIOS?

unsung8841

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

Well I'm not quite sure what to do after installing windows. My graphic card does not exist under my panel, so I think the problem is I need to put it back into the PCE-I slot, in other word it not recognizing.

I live in the dorm so we do have one plug in for the internet core but it nowhere near my side, so I have to get wireless or else I can't go on the internet.

Ok, if you live in dorms, most schools have wireless internet. You'll want to verify this. Once you know there is a wireless network, you simply need to purchase a wireless adapter.

Your motherboard doesn't have onboard video. So if you're getting a video signal, your graphics card is working. You likely need to just install your graphics card driver. The best place to get the driver is off Sapphire's website. Here's the download area.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/downloads/download_index_01.aspx?psn=0006

unsung8841

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

Thanks Aford10

One of my friends told me I could just get a really long Ethernet cable, which didn't even cross my mind. I will try switching back the card to the PCI-E slot 1 because I already install the disk it came with and nothing is detecting. Once I do that I will install driver on that link you gave me, and hopefully that is all I need to be able to play games.

I'll let you know if anything goes wrong. I'm pretty excited but still doubtful until I can get online and dl some games off of steam, and everything work before there is a :wahoo: on my face. :)

unsung8841

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I got a 50 foot internet cable, have 2 months to return it if I change my mind, but the internet still won't work. Shouldn't I get internet with the internet cable from my motherboard? Do I need the 1934 connection thing? I know my school has a wireless network but people still are able to log in with the internet cable, what is going on?

Any ideas, it been 3 weeks since I got the parts for my computers and I'm still not done, so frustrating.

Also I can't afford that wireless adapter, I'm out of money, I use it all on my computer.

unsung8841

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

I just went out and bought the Belkin N+ at office max for 78 dollars with tax. I don't want to open it yet because there is a restocking fee, however I will see if I can get my ethernet cable to work before I decided to open up that Belkin box.

OK what do you mean by lan connection enabled? How do I do that, could that be the cuprit behind my lack of internet access?

I can't get anything from sapphire or Asus website due to lack of internet. It so scary how much we depend on internet for so much stuff.

Also it seem like no matter what I do my graphic card isn't registering, I believe since my window xp is 32 bit and the card only support 64 bit, would I be able to dl a driver on sapphire website for it to work? I'm saving up money for window 7, microsoft should be sue for how much they are charging it, it like a dam monopoly. I have already install the driver for my Asus mobo so if you can tell me how to get the lan connection enable, that would be great.

Another question, if I don't have the lan connection enable, there is no way I can get on the internet with the ethernet cord? Like it is a must? Lastly what does Lan have to do with internet?

Thanks, some of these question is just me learning more about computer.

To make sure your LAN is enabled, go to your network connections folder. You should see a LAN connection. If you don't, you'll need to install your motherboard ethernet drivers. <--that's only if you are using the ethernet cable to connect.

When you say the video card won't register. Do you mean the system isn't recognizing it, or you're trying to complete the registration process?

If you're looking to get windows 7, you can get an OEM copy off the internet much cheaper than in a retail store.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754&cm_re=windows_7_OEM-_-32-116-754-_-Product

The LAN is your local area network connection. It's just the name of the type of connection you are using.

unsung8841

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

It can't detect the graphic card. The only thing under Lan is 1394 network adapter. My mobo doesn't have an ethernet drivers. I mean it not even detecting the graphic card.