Sign in with
Your question

OCZ Reaper (1600 Triple Channel)

Last response: in Memory
September 14, 2010 5:04:00 PM

I am trying to finalize my next computer build and one of the biggest concerns of mine is my RAM. Here is a list of components my computer will consist of:

CPU: i7 930
MOBO: EVGA 131-GT X58
Graphics: EVGA GTX 465
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w
Ram: OCZ Reaper 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)?

I have heard that this wont run past 1333mhz without overclocking? I am not entirely sure what to do here, my previous build I just plugged and played and never payed any attention to overclocking and all that. This is a learning experience here!
a b } Memory
September 14, 2010 5:57:58 PM

Pound4Pound said:
I am trying to finalize my next computer build and one of the biggest concerns of mine is my RAM. Here is a list of components my computer will consist of:

CPU: i7 930
MOBO: EVGA 131-GT X58
Graphics: EVGA GTX 465
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w
Ram: OCZ Reaper 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)?

I have heard that this wont run past 1333mhz without overclocking? I am not entirely sure what to do here, my previous build I just plugged and played and never payed any attention to overclocking and all that. This is a learning experience here!

What you heard is true. Technically the highest "standard" or "auto" speed for DDR3 on most motherboards (yours included) is 1333Mhz. That being said, your motherboard will allow you to set the speed to 1600Mhz manually and the latency timings, etc... can also be changed through the BIOS. Depending on what you plan on doing and how you plan on using the machine it may not be necessary to push your RAM to the max.

If you just plug and play, you will get 1333Mhz which is no slouch, if you plan on doing a little overclocking all the settings will allow you to customize voltages, timings, and speed.

Good Luck!
m
l
September 14, 2010 6:02:27 PM

makwy2 said:
What you heard is true. Technically the highest "standard" or "auto" speed for DDR3 on most motherboards (yours included) is 1333Mhz. That being said, your motherboard will allow you to set the speed to 1600Mhz manually and the latency timings, etc... can also be changed through the BIOS. Depending on what you plan on doing and how you plan on using the machine it may not be necessary to push your RAM to the max.

If you just plug and play, you will get 1333Mhz which is no slouch, if you plan on doing a little overclocking all the settings will allow you to customize voltages, timings, and speed.

Good Luck!

I apreciate the input. I plan on building this to be a reliable rig for (i hope) at least 3 years. The PC I am on right now I built nearly 5 years ago. I am going to be playing Starcraft 2 on Ultra settings, but thats about it really. Photoshop stuff and Video Editing stuff will be used though.

Should I just get ram that is 1333 and save a few $$? If changing it to 1600 isnt hard, Ill do it.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 14, 2010 6:26:34 PM

I recommend buying 1600 if the difference is not more than $20 (with sale/rebate difference is usually nothing at all). Changing 1333 to run as 1600 takes a lot more tweaking than having a 1600Mhz set and just quickly changing things in BIOS.

I think you will have a great machine that is going to do just what you are looking for!
m
l
!