Sign in with
Your question

Why Did Motherboard Die During Prime95

Last response: in Overclocking
October 28, 2012 9:37:37 PM

Hey guys I have a few questions for you guys. I just got done building my first PC, it was a blast. I didn't intend to spend too much money one since all I play is WoW, League of Legends and games of similar graphics. I bought a barebones kit off TigerDirect with these specs.

MOBO - MSI 760GM-E51FX
CPU - AMD FX-8120
RAM - 4x 4GB Corsair XMS3
PSU - ThermalTake TR2 750W
GPU - Sapphire Radeon 7770

So like I said this was just something to get me back into the game. My previous PC (current now lol...) has a 2.4 intel duo with DDR2 ram lol.

So my question is, how and why did I kill my mobo. I purchased a Coolermaster HAF912 case, CM Hyper 212 EVO. Case is equipped with 2x 200mm CM Megaflow fans and 2x 120mm SickleFlows with intake/exhaust optimal for case. At this point I am kind of getting an e-peen for my computer and always wanting to have the best so I have slowly been upgrading everything not being satisfied with average/cheap parts. Temperatures are great on stock settings. So I decided to raise my e-peen more by OC'ing CPU. I was only modifying multiplier so the voltage NEVER changed at all. I was able to OC from 3.1MHz to 3.9MHz, Prime95 ran for 2 hours and CPU temp never went above 56 celcius. So as 61 celcius my limit for my CPU I was aiming for 4.0MHz. Prime95 ran for about 5 minutes and all power on PC went out, temperatures peaked at 62 celcius and seemed steady there. Power button only made LED fans blink and that was it. I was suspecting PSU but after stripping PC down and testing it on another computer it is working fine. I found out the 12V ATX 4-Pin on MOBO for CPU is causing the problem. System can power everything else fine if the 4-Pin isn't in.

I am returning this cheapo $50 motherboard regardless if it was my fault or MOBO and purchased a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. I am curious if it was something I was doing wrong during stress testing or maybe because of cheap mobo. Also what should I do differently on new mobo to prevent this?

On a side note, I purchased a Corsair HX650 PSU that is on its way. I have been reading about some horrible fan noise that seems like 50%+ have but if I end up with a quiet one, would you replace the TR2 750W. Opinion question so let me know guys. I appreciate all the help!
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 1:06:19 AM

The voltage changes automatically as you increase the CPU's operating frequency.

The VRM section on that MB was probably just barely able to handle the 125w drawn by the CPU in stock form.

Once you increased the multiplier the power draw must have pushed it beyond what it could handle.

Your next motherboard should have a beefier VRM section and a generally good rep for overclocking.

More info on VRM's:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/315963-30-phase-contr...

a b À AMD
a c 149 K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 6:18:33 AM

VRM's were probably bare and went kablooey! :ouch: 

Bare VRM's:
Related resources
October 29, 2012 9:52:23 PM

Thanks guys. That is great info on VRM, something I was completely unaware of. How can you tell the VRM are bare. The VRM are the little chips labeled "R50"?
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 10:36:28 PM

No. Those are resistors. The VRM's are the little chips directly above them with the center pin cut off and the left and right outer pins soldered to the motherboard.
October 29, 2012 11:02:55 PM

OK cool guys. Information has helped a lot. I thought I was being safe with my computer by just changing multiplier and watching temps but now I know to do the correct amount of research next time. I am really excited about getting my new mobo and soon to come 2x video cards higher than 7770. My shipments have been super delayed because of hurricane. Oh well, stay safe everyone!
October 31, 2012 9:32:04 PM

Well I got my new motherboard in the mail and I am having trouble getting the PC to post. I have double checked all my wires. One thing that happens is when I turn PC on all fans turn on like normal except the GPU fan revs up and down. It only revs up and down with the PCI-E 6-pin. With the 6-pin out it holds a constant rpm. I have no lights on my motherboard not sure if there are any. But yeah once I turn PC on, all fans come on but nothing else. I have tried 1 stick of ram, switching video card slots, different psu. I have an 8120 but I have a revised version of the mobo that comes with an updated bios to support bulldozers. Not sure what to do next...
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2012 10:49:22 PM

PSU issue? (It could have been damaged with the MB)

I don't recommend running a video card without the 6-pin connected unless there's no connection for it.

The card has the 6-pin on it because it draws more power than a PCI-E slot can provide. Don't stress your new MB by forcing it to feed your video card all it's power through the PCI-slot.
October 31, 2012 11:25:08 PM

Z1NONLY said:
PSU issue? (It could have been damaged with the MB)

I don't recommend running a video card without the 6-pin connected unless there's no connection for it.

The card has the 6-pin on it because it draws more power than a PCI-E slot can provide. Don't stress your new MB by forcing it to feed your video card all it's power through the PCI-slot.

I have tried set ups with the old PSU (TT 750w TR2) and my brand new Corsair HX650. I am leaning towards the cpu got damaged when the VRM blew out.

EDIT: MAYBE IMPORTANT. This new mobo has raised square in the center of the socket. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670...

That is a picture of what it looks like (not mine). My cpu fits fine, snug, but i am sure this is why it wont post because the pins are meeting properly.
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
November 1, 2012 12:19:04 AM

8120's are supposed to work with AM3+ boards...not AM3 boards.

The board in your link...CPU support list:

It says "Beta support only" on the list.

Even if it somehow manages to work with an 8120, it will most likely require the very latest BIOS version and you will probably need an AM3 chip to update it.

Why did you get an AM3 board?
November 1, 2012 12:38:55 AM

Lol... the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 is not a AM3 board. It is indeed an AM3+ with the 1.1 Revision F3 BIOS to support the bulldozer processors.

If you are talking about the link in my previous post that is just to show what the socket on my 990FXA-UD3 looks like.
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
November 1, 2012 12:47:42 AM

You are using a UD3 rather than the board in your link?

That's information we can use. Glad we have that now.

If you just got a new UD3 you should have F8 or something (not that it's "needed"). The UD3 I bought at the beginning of this year was F5.

In light of this new information, (Namely that you are using an AM3+ board) your CPU and video card are on the suspect list.

Do you have access to another rig that you can try your video card in, or borrow a video card from?

November 1, 2012 12:58:19 AM

Yeah I am going to test video card on my other rig but no methods of testing cpu. But can you tell me what is up with the raised square and rectangle on my socket? Every other socket has a flat area. Mine is the only one with height differences. So there a few possiblities.

1. Motherboard is bad. Weird shaped socket. Causing GPU fan to rev up and down. No POST
2.CPU died when VRM died. No POST
3. GPU is dead but fan still runs? PC would still POST? So GPU isn't a possibility?
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
November 1, 2012 1:34:10 AM

tkbaby13 said:
Yeah I am going to test video card on my other rig but no methods of testing cpu. But can you tell me what is up with the raised square and rectangle on my socket? Every other socket has a flat area. Mine is the only one with height differences. So there a few possiblities.

1. Motherboard is bad. Weird shaped socket. Causing GPU fan to rev up and down. No POST
2.CPU died when VRM died. No POST
3. GPU is dead but fan still runs? PC would still POST? So GPU isn't a possibility?

1. Doubtful

2. Possible

3. possible, easier to find a compatible test platform than a CPU, and if the GPU is bad, the fan could still spin and you would never see the POST because there's nothing to send display information.

Also, no lights on the UD3, BTW. At least I didn't see any when I just turned on my work-in-progress. (with a UD3 MB)
November 1, 2012 1:38:40 AM

Well then I guess all that left is the CPU. I have tested other gpus on the ud3 and nothing as well as the 7770 on other rigs and it works fine. its either 1 or 2. Thought the socket shape is still worrying me the most.
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
November 1, 2012 1:49:26 AM

Give Gigabyte a call in the morning. See what they say.
November 1, 2012 2:59:34 PM

I called Gigabyte and spoke to them about the socket. They had no clue or idea why it would be like that. At first he thought I was mentioning the 4 small rectangles that are normal on the socket and we spent 3 minutes talking about that. He was completely lost and just advised my go ahead and exchange the motherboard. He had me send him an email of the picture of my socket.
November 7, 2012 3:31:14 AM

Well just wanted to post an update for you guys. It turned out to be the CPU that died. When VRM died it took the CPU with it. So I bought a new 8350 and returned the 8120.
!