Sign in with
Your question

5850 vs. gtx285

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2010 2:30:24 PM

I have a two monitor setup and am looking to update the graphics card. Here are the pros/cons that I think I care about

5850: awesome performance, cheaper, directx11, nonexistent opencl adoption
gtx285: PhysX looks really cool like seriously awesome, nvidia drivers (I consider a pro), $$

Basically I really want to get the 5850 but watching youtube PhysX videos has given me pause. Also, I'm not really convinced that the side by side performance comparisons between the two are that valuable if the 5850 is running with less features than the gtx (physx). Any comments?

More about : 5850 gtx285

January 31, 2010 2:34:18 PM

I would suggest you to go with 5850, since PhysX doesnot matter for the most time
I really like PhysX, myself, but I have an ATI card, so cannot enjoy it.
However, there are very few games out there which has PhysX.
Batman: Arkham Asylum, I have played and really enjoyed it,
I don't feel the absence of PhysX while Playing it
PhysX just makes the Graphics complicated and intense.

In my Opinion, 5850 offers more value for money

GooD LucK
m
l
January 31, 2010 2:41:06 PM

The 5850 is your best bet.

There is nothing you are missing from PhysX. Those youtube videos are marketting hype by nVidia because they know PhysX is dead. PhysX currently only has a noticeable difference, albeit barely, in 3 games, Mirror's Edge, Batman Arkham Asylum, and some cheap particle effects in Dark Void. That is all well and good, but there is no future to PhysX. PhysX is a proprietary software that nVidia only allows on their cards. Because of this, most game developers aren't going to put time into utilizing PhysX because it will alienate half their consumer base. Also DX11 has something called compute shaders which allows any DX11 card to do the same as PhysX, but easier and with greater potential like processing AI on the GPU. Compute shaders will be supported by both nVidia and ATI in the future and will be an easy implemented feature on any DX11 games.

PhysX is dead.

Also there is nothing better about nVidia's drivers, release drivers are always bad. I know I've owned both and I've built a good many computers for or with friends.

There is absolutely no good reason to purchase the GTX 285 over the 5850, anyone who says differently is just biased and wants you to support their favorite company. People like me who only care about the products will say otherwise. It is unfortunate that you will likely have to deal with that childish nonsense, but this is Tom's after all... Hopefully that crowd will miss this thread. :) 
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2010 3:07:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback, my impression is also that PhysX is a niche tech that won't really make a big impact in gaming because the current consoles don't offer any real support and they are the big money makers so that's where (unfortunately) the majority of developers time will go. I like to support more physics simulation in games, but perhaps this tech isn't the way to go.
m
l
January 31, 2010 3:12:06 PM

chabbyj said:
Thanks for the feedback, my impression is also that PhysX is a niche tech that won't really make a big impact in gaming because the current consoles don't offer any real support and they are the big money makers so that's where (unfortunately) the majority of developers time will go. I like to support more physics simulation in games, but perhaps this tech isn't the way to go.

You wont even notice the absence of PhysX when playing the game without it
m
l
January 31, 2010 9:16:22 PM

ATi have received a bit of flack recently whether it turns out to be a driver issue or hardware one remains to be seen IMO, best sit back and wait awhile I reckon.
m
l
January 31, 2010 9:55:07 PM

I have a 4670 & a 5870, absolutely no more driver issues than a 7300GT/8800GT.
m
l
January 31, 2010 10:09:29 PM

AMW1011 said:
The 5850 is your best bet.

There is nothing you are missing from PhysX. Those youtube videos are marketting hype by nVidia because they know PhysX is dead. PhysX currently only has a noticeable difference, albeit barely, in 3 games, Mirror's Edge, Batman Arkham Asylum, and some cheap particle effects in Dark Void. That is all well and good, but there is no future to PhysX. PhysX is a proprietary software that nVidia only allows on their cards. Because of this, most game developers aren't going to put time into utilizing PhysX because it will alienate half their consumer base. Also DX11 has something called compute shaders which allows any DX11 card to do the same as PhysX, but easier and with greater potential like processing AI on the GPU. Compute shaders will be supported by both nVidia and ATI in the future and will be an easy implemented feature on any DX11 games.

PhysX is dead.

Also there is nothing better about nVidia's drivers, release drivers are always bad. I know I've owned both and I've built a good many computers for or with friends.

There is absolutely no good reason to purchase the GTX 285 over the 5850, anyone who says differently is just biased and wants you to support their favorite company. People like me who only care about the products will say otherwise. It is unfortunate that you will likely have to deal with that childish nonsense, but this is Tom's after all... Hopefully that crowd will miss this thread. :) 

My response to this wall of b/s

If you can find a good deal on a gtx 285 I'd go for it, but IMO wait for Fermi, you can have your cake(physx) and eat it to.
m
l
January 31, 2010 10:14:00 PM

I dont know if you noticed this, but a GTX 285 is close to $400, while a 5850 is $300. If your willing to spend $400 on a GTX 285 then go ahead and get a 5870 that would mop the floor with the 285.
m
l
January 31, 2010 10:55:56 PM

The GTX 285 is weaker, costs considerably more, uses a lot more power/gives off much more heat, isn't DX11, doesn't support 3 monitors.
It does have PhysX which has been around for years and is a worthwhile advantage in approximately 2 games imo(Batman: AA, Sacred 2)
The comparison isn't even close really.
The HD5850 also OCs very nicely, up to around the performance of an HD5870 and even higher than that if you bump up the voltage.
m
l
January 31, 2010 10:58:46 PM

Yeah, seriously, 5850 by far.
m
l
January 31, 2010 11:52:49 PM

notty22 said:
My response to this wall of b/s
http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr185/notty222/pinochio-300x294.png

If you can find a good deal on a gtx 285 I'd go for it, but IMO wait for Fermi, you can have your cake(physx) and eat it to.

Give me one reason that any of it is BS. You can't can you, so instead you try to support your preferred company by labeling facts as BS and posting a picture. At least do the intelligent thing and skew the facts in a different light, not just plain denial.

Notty is one of those that I have mentioned, I'm sorry. I thought this thread might be sparred, but it wasn't. OP just ignore him.

I can post pictures too notty!

m
l
!