Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezes shortly after post

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2010 3:05:27 PM

My old motherboard fried itself a while back so I purchased a new case and motherboard to migrate my working components over to instead of purchasing a new computer. I am having difficulties though because my computer is locking up anywhere between 30 seconds after post and 5 minutes (can actually get Windows booted). It doesn't matter if I boot to windows or go into the BIOS. The mouse, keyboard, and display all stop responding. I have tried to boot using only a single stick of memory but that encountered the same results. Here are the specs for the machine:

--Broadway Com Corp 712-4HLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
--GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
--Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
--CORSAIR XMS2 (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-5400c4
--MSI RX2600Pro-T2D512E Radeon HD 2600PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
--Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
--Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
--ASUS Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2M Cache E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner

I'm running RAID0 with the two hard drives.
February 7, 2010 9:30:00 PM

Well if its freezing in the BIOS that limits the possible cases somewhat.
-Try reseating everything plugged into the mb
-try the memory in the opposite slots and individually
-Try booting straight to the BIOS and monitor the temp until it locks up

Also were you able to identify why your last mb fried? are you sure the power supply is still good?
m
l
February 7, 2010 10:41:28 PM

Better make sure you seated the CPU heatsink right. Sounds like its over heating to me.
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2010 11:04:33 PM

this could also be a memory problem. On someone elses computer download memtest 86+ to a flshdrive(because your computer is crashing) and test memory. Most likely though it is the cpu overheating. On my build my cpu fan became unplugged and it crashed within 3 sec of booting. The reason i think it may be memory is because the computer is not shutting down immediatly. Also power supplies have been know to cause crashing problems. On my computer i couldn't get it working and so the manufacturer gave me a way to test it. I suggest doing the same thing but let it run for 5 min to see if it is inconsistent.
m
l
February 7, 2010 11:49:19 PM

I would suspect heat, if you can get to boot into Windows and do something for a couple of minutes. That is just about how long it takes a processor to overheat enough to crash Windows.
m
l
February 9, 2010 3:02:01 AM

db_dec said:
Well if its freezing in the BIOS that limits the possible cases somewhat.
-Try reseating everything plugged into the mb
-try the memory in the opposite slots and individually
-Try booting straight to the BIOS and monitor the temp until it locks up

Also were you able to identify why your last mb fried? are you sure the power supply is still good?

When I purchased a new case it came with a new power supply so hopefully that is not the issue. Also, not sure the exact cause of the last one to fail only that there were brown "burn" marks on the old motherboard and a bad electrical smell. The computer was dead after that event.
m
l
February 9, 2010 3:03:25 AM

Just to let everybody know, I just tried to boot 3 times into the BIOS and watch the CPU temp. The highest it registered was 43c.
m
l
February 9, 2010 3:42:14 AM

I tried to test the memory but the computer will not stay running long enough for the test to complete even with a single stick of RAM.
m
l
April 29, 2014 12:09:40 PM

I know this is a very old post, but any chance you could let us know the resolution? I'm having what sounds like a very similar issue (computer freezing. Sometimes making it past POST, but it will lock up in the BIOS as well)
m
l
April 29, 2014 3:20:45 PM

SDJ86 said:
I know this is a very old post, but any chance you could let us know the resolution? I'm having what sounds like a very similar issue (computer freezing. Sometimes making it past POST, but it will lock up in the BIOS as well)

I fought with this for a bit but I believe the eventual solution was to replace the new motherboard that I ordered. Once I got that then things behaved.
m
l
!