Is this good to clean the CPU?

Solution
I prefer something "smoother" and only one layer, so that I can feel the surface of the CPU through the cloth.

However, if that's what you have, it should "work". It may just take a little more time getting all the old paste off and fitting the sponge into the work area without hitting fans and RAM etc.

Short answer: not what I would choose, but it will work fine.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I prefer something "smoother" and only one layer, so that I can feel the surface of the CPU through the cloth.

However, if that's what you have, it should "work". It may just take a little more time getting all the old paste off and fitting the sponge into the work area without hitting fans and RAM etc.

Short answer: not what I would choose, but it will work fine.

Solution

The Halo Don

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

The sponge was literally the only thing available. I'll go back and get a cloth.

The alcohol is the correct one though right?

Yes the isopropyl alcohol is what you want since it does not have added oils like rubbing alcohol. Honestly most cloths work as long as they don't leave any fibers behind. I usually just initially wipe of the thermal paste with a paper towel and alcohol. Then just buff it off with a microfiber towel but even a old t shirt would work.

greddy23

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Paper towels may leave residue, coffee filters do not and work fine as I have done it many times,and yes remove the cpu and do it without the cpu in the socket, because you do not want to spill any alcohol into the motherboard.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Paper towels are fine, I've used them for years with no ill effects.

Also, FYI, alcohol wouldn't hurt your motherboard. Rubbing alcohol is nonconductive and evaporates very rapidly. It's still a good idea to remove the CPU for cleaning, however. I like to get as much of the thermal paste off as possible before unclamping the chip, then clean it again more thoroughly before putting it back.