Solved

Memory speed vs cpu overclocking

Hi, I am about to build an ivy bridge build (this is m first building computer) and would like to overclock the i7-3770k to 4.8ghz with an amazing fan. My issue is, I also won't fast memory (2133mhz) but I realize that the memory speed somehow affects the clock of the cpu. What i do not understand is how. Should I be getting different memory? My memory is still at 1.5v.
Memory: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCZGEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about memory speed overclocking
  1. Best answer
    It doesn't.

In fact anything above 1333mhz won't make any difference in real world applications.
  2. +1 amuffin....Although you can lower latency to increase performance substantially...I went from CAS 9 to CAS 7 and this increased my fps in Heaven 3.0 from 42 fps average to 56 fps average
  3. amuffin said:
    It doesn't.

In fact anything above 1333mhz won't make any difference in real world applications.

Really? Wow...
  4. lowjack989 said:
    +1 amuffin....Although you can lower latency to increase performance substantially...I went from CAS 9 to CAS 7 and this increased my fps in Heaven 3.0 from 42 fps average to 56 fps average

So i should put latency in front of speed?
  5. Point is, it doesn't matter. Just make sure the voltage is 1.5v, anything above that can damage the chip.
  6. amuffin said:
    Point is, it doesn't matter. Just make sure the voltage is 1.5v, anything above that can damage the chip.

thanks dude!
  7. Also don't get that corsair ram with high heatsinks, it will get in the way of most aftermarket coolers.
  8. Best answer selected by iamlegend999.
  9. 4.8 ghz with no liquid cooling thats crazy. you are deff going to run hot
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Overclocking CPUs Build