Sign in with
Your question

Media PC using Q6600

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2010 5:11:41 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This month. As cheap as possible without having to give up alot

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Watching Blu Ray/DVD rips etc, HD sound with atleast 5.1 will upgrade to 7.1 later on

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS (i have Windows 7, XP media if needed) or should I use Linux , Corsair TX750W PSU , RAM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: NewEgg, TigerDirect, Frys, MicroCenter

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe if needed SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe if needed

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080p Kuro Plasma

CPU -Q6600
RAM - OCZ SLI DDR2 4GB
PSU - Corsair TX750w
GPU - 8800 GT (if I can reuse if not it's not a problem)
MB - I had this board it's dead was looking at something like this for a new MB will have to get a PCI card for more SATA ports or get something like this Lian Li EX50

Case - I was looking at something like this so it would look nice with my AVR next to it Case and then just get something else to hold the extra HDDs when needed. Or maybe something even like this Server Case just not that big

HDDs - Was just going to use a older 320GB for the OS or I'll go buy a new smaller one. Then was just looking at getting those WD Green 1-2TB. Not sure how to run them RAID 5, JBOD or just plug them in. I was trying to figure out a way if one of my Disk dies I could use my buddies rig as a backup and he could too. Since he has one and will soon upgrade his HDDs.

I have most of my DVD rips on EXT HDDs and would like to get rid of using them for main storage.

Originally I was looking at buying a WD HD Live or Popcorn hour but then also needed some kind of network storage system to hold all my media and I'm trying to get away from using my new i7 build to hold that media so I don't need to run it 24/7 and someone mentioned building a Media Center instead.

So hopefully this is not to confusing to read and should be pretty easy since I have alot of the stuff already.

Thanks

More about : media q6600

February 8, 2010 1:35:06 AM

Not confusing at all. You want a Media PC using a Q6600, an AMD CPU, a Biostar motherboard made by XFX and you provided links to a few components that no longer are available. Seriously, what do you really want? If you already the components that you listed, why not buy a decent socket 775 motherboard like a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P instead of a crappy one?
February 8, 2010 2:44:47 AM

Yes I already have those parts just asking if those parts will work fine for this build. Not sure where you got a AMD CPU from. I was only asking about that XFX but I guess it's not good. I didn't see that Gigabyte board that looks pretty good.
Related resources
February 8, 2010 3:08:05 AM

To bdestroyer841

Quote:
Not sure where you got a AMD CPU from.

In your first post.

Quote:
PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case)
February 8, 2010 5:27:22 AM

Sorry I just copied that from the STICKY:cry:  will delete that. I forgot to when I posted that.
February 8, 2010 3:20:01 PM

bdestroyer8418 said:
Sorry I just copied that from the STICKY:cry:  will delete that. I forgot to when I posted that.

LOL:D  It happens my friend.:) 
February 8, 2010 7:53:35 PM

Quote:
You could sell that Q6600 for $200 and buy a new mobo and energy efficient dual core cpu for about $100. You could also sell the 8800GT because the mobo in the $100 combo will have just fine integrated video for your needs. This will again save ton's of power and heat.

$200 really most anyone would give me was $100 they said for the Q6600. I'm going to pick up some cheap ddr2 ram this week to try to get that 680i MB to work someone mentioned to me that I might need more voltage going to those OCZ sli ddr2 and I can't get it to display so if that doesn't work then for sure that board is cooked.

IF I do sell it what dual core and MB combo do you recommend. That's kinda what I thought that the Q6600 takes up alot of power and would be overkill for this build.

Thanks
February 8, 2010 9:57:59 PM

Quote:
You could sell that Q6600 for $200 and buy a new mobo and energy efficient dual core cpu for about $100. You could also sell the 8800GT because the mobo in the $100 combo will have just fine integrated video for your needs. This will again save ton's of power and heat.

I do not know any one who would give $200.00 for a used Q6600.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=q6600&ci...

Quote:
You could also sell the 8800GT because the mobo in the $100 combo will have just fine integrated video for your needs.

That 8800GT is one heck of a GPU. Just what combination are you recommending? Looks like he is going to be using a Kuro Plasma @ 1920 X 1080. :whistle: 
February 8, 2010 10:14:00 PM

Yea at most last time I checked I seen them going for $120-$150 used on ebay if you can get them to bid up to that. Yes I will be using that Kuro Plasma so I figured I would need a decent card if I cant reuse that 8800GT.

Atleast I know I should be looking at something like the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P MB that GhislainG mentioned if I can't get the 680i going.

February 10, 2010 11:41:34 PM

Quote:
Even if he only got $150, he's still get a new cpu and new mobo and still make $50, so why are you arguing?

I was trying to work within his requirements. Look at the very first line the OP post. That new CPU/M/BD combo would have to be pretty good to run his Plasma with on board video, thou I guess I could be wrong there. Give the OP a suggestion of what you have in mind.:) 

Quote:
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This month. As cheap as possible without having to give up alot

I think he would be very lucky to sell the stuff he already has if his intentions are to build this month and not give up much.

Quote:
A 65nm quad core and a 8800GT is far from ideal for a media center. LOL

Oh I agree with you on that. However if I were in his shoes looking for a fast build with what I have then I could live with a few cooling fans to keep things under control.

This is just my opinion thou and the OP will be the person who has to live with the fruits of his/her labor.:) 
!