Problems with HD4850

boundless

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Hello everyone!

My system specs (custom built) are below:

Mobo: Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H (Rev 1.0)
Processor: Phenom X2 550 black edition
Video Card: Powercooler HD4850 1GB (DDR3)

I recently put together my computer from scratch. Aside from a few minor problems (my mistakes) the computer worked flawlessly. I successfully used my HD4850 to play the Sims 3. It worked perfectly for hours with absolutely no problems.
I then downloaded the HD4850 drivers through Windows Update. After that, my video card has not been working properly. I first noticed how long it took to load up the screen on the monitor. When I played the Sims, within minutes I got graphic glitches (red blocks on the screen). Fearing that my video card was overheating, I went to turn it off. A blue screen pops-up, but I unfortunately did not get to read the message, as I had shut off the computer. I restarted it and tried again. This time I get more elaborate graphical issues on the Sims (random spikes and stretched walls). And then my screen goes black. I go to restart again, and I can hear my computer starting fine (cpu fan, video card fan, hard drive, etc.), but there is no image on-screen.
To get an image, I had to reset BIOS. A quick note, my motherboard has an onboard graphic card (HD4200), that I had previously disabled. I had to enable it to get the screen to come back on.

I have tried the following solutions, and none have worked so far:
I tried to download the newest driver for the HD4850. The Catalyst downloaded fine, but the display driver makes my computer crash.

I used a restore point (one before the Windows Update), but my card still will not work. Sometimes, the screen will come on on the Windows login screen, although it is very, very distorted (not a resolution issue). It is very blocky and has streaks of random colors. It will then go back to a black screen when I log on.

I have tried deleting the drivers and reinstalling them. Same problems.

I have tried multiple monitor cables, but I know for a fact it is not my monitor. And the cable is plugged into the HD4850.

I have updates my mobo, but it didn't seem to help.

I do disable the onboard video card when I try my HD4850. And I set it as the initial display.

I think it might be some kind of conflict with the onboard graphics. After I restored the computer, I noticed that the drivers for the onboard graphics were not there any more. But still, my graphic card would not work.

Do you guys think it is a driver issue or a hardware one? And what solutions can I try?

Sorry for the long post, but I am trying to make this as detailed as possible. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read all of this. I am willing to try any option at this point.

boundless

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Thanks, I will try that soon if things do not work. I now realized that Windows 7 is automatically updating the driver after I use a restore point. I still believe it is the drivers, because it worked beautifully before that.