Motherboard no power to speaker connection

snichun

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hello,
Just trying to bench test the motherboard G31T-M7 and having connected it up to the tower case connections I am getting a power switch, power light, and working fans but no speaker sounds on start up. I checked it with the multimeter and nil volts getting to the speaker socket on the board.

The only thing it might be is that I am using a 20 pin PSU socket into a 24 pin receptacle.....any ideas?

Its possible the lack of power connections could be the problem, however I think it would be more likely that the system may not operate correctly, or at all if it didn't have enough power.

I think the motherboard is to blame. But I am not certain, and wouldn't be until I tested with a power supply with the proper connector.

Find another PSU.

snichun

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I shall try just that and have ordered a 20+4 PSU. The board was tested satis prior to dispatch, so I am running out of common denominators of change. It just doesn't figure because everything else seems to work ok (even if the case is 8 years old).

Be back in a week.

It's not the PSU. The extra 4 wires carry a line each of 3.3, 5, and 12 volts and a ground line.

A G31 board doesn't pull much power. You don't really need the extra 4 pins. My Gigabyte G41M-ES2L with an E6500 Wolfdale OC'd to 3.6 GHz, 4 GB of RAM, and onboard graphics only pulls 110 watt from the wall as measured with my Kill-a-Watt meter.

Use an ohmmeter to measure continuity through the speaker and wiring. If it is bad or questionable, you can get a replacement here:
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

snichun

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

What should the continuity be across the speaker points?