Gateway SX2800 Mobo replacement?

herderby

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
I know some about building a pc from scratch mostly from help I got on here, but I'm not much on repairs.

I have a Gateway SX2800 with a bad motherboard. I don't know if the CPU is shot or not. I tried all the other parts in another pc including the power supply and they are fine. This one chip about 1 inch square near the memory just under the hard drive cage gets so hot I can't touch it. There are no markings on it. It causes the power supply to shut down.

I can't seem to find any information on what board I should replace it with. Any ideas on what board I can get from Newegg that will fit this small case and everything line up properly? Or where I can get an inexpensive exact replacement?

Will I have any problems getting Vista Home Premium to work on a new board without activation issues?

Some Info on the case do you need any more info?:
Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q8200
4 GB DDR3
HDMI
Vista Home Premium 64 bit
Intel GMA X4500 Integrated
Dolby Home Theater V3 - hmm I didn't realize it was an HTPC.

Thanks. Dale

Solution
If the gateway doesn't have a removable backplate, then you may have some trouble using another board. But if you remove the gateway board, then see if the plate is part of the motherboard. Also check newegg photos for similar boards (motherboard ports that line up with the gateway case back) and you may find a similar configuration. Newegg has the best photos of any website, and chances are if you don't find your board there, it's already been discontinued by the manufacturer. And remember that newegg sometimes has cases as low as $20 shipped with their email promos, so if you can order from them, sign up for their weekly email promo codes. Your gateway case may be fancier, but a generic case may be your best option.
For ddr3 support, checkout the msi G41M-p35 for around $63 shipped at newegg. It has 4 ddr3 slots and is micro atx format. You will probably need a fresh copy of windows, since many oem systems have the operating system setup so it only works with the original motherboard. This board should work fine with vista or windows 7.

herderby

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008

Thanks o1die. I didn't notice I was posting on the UK site. Oh well. I guess you guys can still help out an american.

I thought maybe I would need a new copy of Windows and would rather go with Windows 7 anyway.

This case seems to only be set up for the connections to this motherboard. It doesn't have a plate (not sure of the technical name) that snaps off real easy to replace with the one that comes with a new motherboard. I wonder if there are any boards with the same layout for the video, lan usb etc?

If the gateway doesn't have a removable backplate, then you may have some trouble using another board. But if you remove the gateway board, then see if the plate is part of the motherboard. Also check newegg photos for similar boards (motherboard ports that line up with the gateway case back) and you may find a similar configuration. Newegg has the best photos of any website, and chances are if you don't find your board there, it's already been discontinued by the manufacturer. And remember that newegg sometimes has cases as low as $20 shipped with their email promos, so if you can order from them, sign up for their weekly email promo codes. Your gateway case may be fancier, but a generic case may be your best option.

Solution

herderby

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
Thanks. The backplate is nonremovable and I can't find any pictures that match this board layout so the new motherboard would probably go into another case.

The pc is actually for my sister inlaw and she doesn't want to spend the money for a new board, case and maybe Windows. Might as well put that money towards a new pc. I might keep the DDR3 memory, hard drive, dvd burner and a few things as spares and chuck the rest.