Sign in with
Your question

Can't boot after deleting 1 win7 install in a dual boot config HELP!

Last response: in Storage
February 11, 2012 5:05:55 PM

Hey, i was running 2x hard WD caviar with a win7 install on each of em, n i had a dual boot config. As i wasn't using one of em, i decided to format it, and now i can't boot from the main one.. says "select proper boot device or insert boot media.."
I reinstalled win7 on another hd and all the data is intact in my main hd. I booted from win7 disk, but it cannot locate any windows install..

Help me please.
February 11, 2012 5:35:45 PM

alan_carter said:
Hey, i was running 2x hard WD caviar with a win7 install on each of em, n i had a dual boot config. As i wasn't using one of em, i decided to format it, and now i can't boot from the main one.. says "select proper boot device or insert boot media.."
I reinstalled win7 on another hd and all the data is intact in my main hd. I booted from win7 disk, but it cannot locate any windows install..

Help me please.

The drive you formated must have had the boot manager/loader on it. You'll have to repair the install, I'll look for a link with a guide for you.
Put the windows install disk in, then select repair.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-re...
February 11, 2012 5:50:01 PM

omega21xx said:
The drive you formated must have had the boot manager/loader on it. You'll have to repair the install, I'll look for a link with a guide for you.
Put the windows install disk in, then select repair.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-re...

Thanks for replying. I already tried that, but in the list i don't get any win 7 installs..
And yeah, i set the boot manager on the hdd i formatted..
Related resources
February 11, 2012 5:55:57 PM

alan_carter said:
Thanks for replying. I already tried that, but in the list i don't get any win 7 installs..
And yeah, i set the boot manager on the hdd i formatted..

This is done outside of the HDD booting, your problem is that the Boot loader (what allowed you to boot windows on two HDD's) is gone. (this boot loader is part of the windows install you deleted on the drive)

Put the windows CD in, go to your BIOS setup before trying to boot an HDD. Select in Boot order to boot from CD/DVD.
restart and when it boots the cd/dvd it will ask if you want to install windows, choose repair and follow the rest of the guide.
If you are unable to boot from anything (CD/DVD/USB) then your problem is else where.

I just re-read your post, sounds like when following the steps it doesn't show a windows install to repair, is this correct?
February 11, 2012 6:01:06 PM

Correct. I was able to get to the repair section anyways, clicked on repair startup, it does some stuff, but it doesn't work, i still can't boot.
I booted from the win7 disc, that it's installed in the hd i want to get working again.
Btw can i do something dloadin the program i used for setting the dual boot config?
February 11, 2012 6:09:38 PM

alan_carter said:
Correct. I was able to get to the repair section anyways, clicked on repair startup, it does some stuff, but it doesn't work, i still can't boot.
I booted from the win7 disc, that it's installed in the hd i want to get working again.
Btw can i do something dloadin the program i used for setting the dual boot config?

I've seen similiar issues where running disk check will fix the errors and other issues keeping you from booting.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkd...
Not sure if any of these are of help, but if you can't run disk check one of these ways, you can do a windows install on another HDD, run disk check on the one needing to be repaired. Then you should be set.
February 11, 2012 6:12:15 PM

omega21xx said:
I've seen similiar issues where running disk check will fix the errors and other issues keeping you from booting.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkd...
Not sure if any of these are of help, but if you can't run disk check one of these ways, you can do a windows install on another HDD, run disk check on the one needing to be repaired. Then you should be set.

Alright, yesterday evening i installed a win7 copy on a WD raptor, so i can play some bf3 meanwhile, i'll see if that works

Thanks for ur help bud.
Greetings
February 11, 2012 6:15:20 PM

alan_carter said:
Alright, yesterday evening i installed a win7 copy on a WD raptor, so i can play some bf3 meanwhile, i'll see if that works

Thanks for ur help bud.
Greetings

No problem, that's what i'm here for :) 
February 12, 2012 10:01:56 AM

I disk checked completely the hdd, took many hours, but still, it doesn't boot.
Any other guesses?
a b G Storage
February 12, 2012 10:16:31 AM

I *think* this is because the drive is not set as active because otherwise you should get "boot manager is missing" error which startup repair can fix. either set the broken partition active from your working partition or follow method 2 here.

www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/71432-partition-mark-acti...
February 12, 2012 10:39:36 AM

Ok, done that following method 1, as i can access disk manager from this working win7 install.
Now when booting i get missing boot mgr, press alt+..
I booted from disk, and now in the repair windows section, i can see the 2 win7 installs, but when i choose any to repair, it says that the disk is not the proper one for that windows O.o

Btw in the list, both windows appear as (recovered)

!