Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help updating an old computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 31, 2010 5:28:03 PM

I am looking for someone to tell me exactly what to purchse to upgrade the Video/graphics card on an HP Pavilion a810n. I don't have much money to do this because I am a retired person on SS, but I can no longer play the video games that I like. I keep getting an error message that my video card does not support this game. I am only talking HOG and Adventure/Action games.
I would like to get a card that is going to do the job for at least a couple of years. I don't know how to tell if I will also need to upgrade my PSU.
I can put them in myself, I just don't understand how to tell what I need.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Nancy


System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/15/2009, 08:44:12
Machine name: YOUR-03667082DE
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
System Model: PP164AA-ABA a810n
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.4GHz
Memory: 896MB RAM
Page File: 453MB used, 1713MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: SiS 760
Manufacturer: SiS
Chip type: SiS 760
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_6330&SUBSYS_2A06103C&REV_00
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Default Monitor
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: SiSGRV.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.3900 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/5/2009 03:07:24, 3467776 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: sisgrp.sys
Mini VDD Date: 6/5/2009 03:02:46, 323584 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71ED9-2070-11CF-B07C-0C0AA1C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x1039
Device ID: 0x6330
SubSys ID: 0x2A06103C
Revision ID: 0x0000
Revision ID: 0x0000
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_D ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG1_A
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

More about : updating computer

a c 106 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 5:48:01 PM

^ No, thats a PCI-E 1x card Upendra, not a PCI card.

Anyway that computer should have an AGP slot. Take off the side panel to be sure that it has an AGP slot. If you don't know what an AGP slot is then google it.

Now then, if you have at least a 325W Power Supply, you should go with.

POWERCOLOR AG3650 512MD2-V3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If not then go with

JATON 3DForce3450-DVI Radeon HD 3450 512MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The only problem with the Jaton is that it has two DVI ports and no VGA adapter for them. If your monitor only uses a VGA cable you will also need an adaptor for that card. The 3450 is pretty slow by todays standards, but it's the best you can do without upgrading your PSU if it's less than 325W. The 3650 is much faster than the 3450, but it's very basic now adays. Still, should be more than enough for your needs and there isn't much of a point in getting something faster without upgrading your CPU as well.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 31, 2010 5:57:55 PM

I have 1 AGP slots and 3 PCI-E slots.
If I were to upgrade the PCU what should I look for and how would that change the graphics card I should buy.
The $105 is pretty pricey for me. I have a top total price of $150.00, and would prefer not to have to spend it all.
Thanks again.




member1070 said:
I am looking for someone to tell me exactly what to purchse to upgrade the Video/graphics card on an HP Pavilion a810n. I don't have much money to do this because I am a retired person on SS, but I can no longer play the video games that I like. I keep getting an error message that my video card does not support this game. I am only talking HOG and Adventure/Action games.
I would like to get a card that is going to do the job for at least a couple of years. I don't know how to tell if I will also need to upgrade my PSU.
I can put them in myself, I just don't understand how to tell what I need.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Nancy


System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/15/2009, 08:44:12
Machine name: YOUR-03667082DE
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
System Model: PP164AA-ABA a810n
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.4GHz
Memory: 896MB RAM
Page File: 453MB used, 1713MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: SiS 760
Manufacturer: SiS
Chip type: SiS 760
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_6330&SUBSYS_2A06103C&REV_00
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Default Monitor
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: SiSGRV.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.3900 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/5/2009 03:07:24, 3467776 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: sisgrp.sys
Mini VDD Date: 6/5/2009 03:02:46, 323584 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71ED9-2070-11CF-B07C-0C0AA1C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x1039
Device ID: 0x6330
SubSys ID: 0x2A06103C
Revision ID: 0x0000
Revision ID: 0x0000
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_D ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG1_A
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

m
0
l
February 1, 2010 12:12:50 AM

I have 1 AGP slots and 3 PCI-E slots.
If I were to upgrade the PCU what should I look for and how would that change the graphics card I should buy.
I would like to keep the total around $100
Thanks again.







megamanx00 said:
^ No, thats a PCI-E 1x card Upendra, not a PCI card.

Anyway that computer should have an AGP slot. Take off the side panel to be sure that it has an AGP slot. If you don't know what an AGP slot is then google it.

Now then, if you have at least a 325W Power Supply, you should go with.

POWERCOLOR AG3650 512MD2-V3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If not then go with

JATON 3DForce3450-DVI Radeon HD 3450 512MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The only problem with the Jaton is that it has two DVI ports and no VGA adapter for them. If your monitor only uses a VGA cable you will also need an adaptor for that card. The 3450 is pretty slow by todays standards, but it's the best you can do without upgrading your PSU if it's less than 325W. The 3650 is much faster than the 3450, but it's very basic now adays. Still, should be more than enough for your needs and there isn't much of a point in getting something faster without upgrading your CPU as well.

m
0
l
February 1, 2010 12:25:20 AM

member1070 said:
I am looking for someone to tell me exactly what to purchse to upgrade the Video/graphics card on an HP Pavilion a810n. I don't have much money to do this because I am a retired person on SS, but I can no longer play the video games that I like. I keep getting an error message that my video card does not support this game. I am only talking HOG and Adventure/Action games.
I would like to get a card that is going to do the job for at least a couple of years. I don't know how to tell if I will also need to upgrade my PSU.
I can put them in myself, I just don't understand how to tell what I need.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Nancy


System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/15/2009, 08:44:12
Machine name: YOUR-03667082DE
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
System Model: PP164AA-ABA a810n
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.4GHz
Memory: 896MB RAM
Page File: 453MB used, 1713MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: SiS 760
Manufacturer: SiS
Chip type: SiS 760
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_6330&SUBSYS_2A06103C&REV_00
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Default Monitor
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: SiSGRV.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.3900 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/5/2009 03:07:24, 3467776 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: sisgrp.sys
Mini VDD Date: 6/5/2009 03:02:46, 323584 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71ED9-2070-11CF-B07C-0C0AA1C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x1039
Device ID: 0x6330
SubSys ID: 0x2A06103C
Revision ID: 0x0000
Revision ID: 0x0000
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_D ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG1_A
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run



The best video card they have available would be NVIDIA 256MB AGP PCI card like from Walmart, Bestbuy or shop ebay, when you install this card it will come with the installation CD, this card goes in an unattended inspansion slot inside your pc. Dont forget to disable the onboard and switch it to PCI in your bios.
m
0
l
February 1, 2010 12:28:48 AM

member1070 said:
I am looking for someone to tell me exactly what to purchse to upgrade the Video/graphics card on an HP Pavilion a810n. I don't have much money to do this because I am a retired person on SS, but I can no longer play the video games that I like. I keep getting an error message that my video card does not support this game. I am only talking HOG and Adventure/Action games.
I would like to get a card that is going to do the job for at least a couple of years. I don't know how to tell if I will also need to upgrade my PSU.
I can put them in myself, I just don't understand how to tell what I need.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Nancy


System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/15/2009, 08:44:12
Machine name: YOUR-03667082DE
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
System Model: PP164AA-ABA a810n
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.4GHz
Memory: 896MB RAM
Page File: 453MB used, 1713MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: SiS 760
Manufacturer: SiS
Chip type: SiS 760
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_6330&SUBSYS_2A06103C&REV_00
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Default Monitor
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: SiSGRV.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.3900 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/5/2009 03:07:24, 3467776 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: sisgrp.sys
Mini VDD Date: 6/5/2009 03:02:46, 323584 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71ED9-2070-11CF-B07C-0C0AA1C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x1039
Device ID: 0x6330
SubSys ID: 0x2A06103C
Revision ID: 0x0000
Revision ID: 0x0000
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_D ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG1_A
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run



In addition you may want to upgrade your memory to 1 GB or better so that your video doesnt freeze or stick when playing games etc..
m
0
l
February 1, 2010 12:32:30 AM

you do not have pci-e, a 3300+ can't have pci-e unless it has some crazy mobo from hp. Also don't listen to the person on top of me, You don't need to upgrade your memory, it's plenty for xp. Also if you do try to upgrade, it's going to cost quite a bit more just for 1gb total. DDR prices are higher than ddr2/3
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 1:40:38 AM

Mousemonkey said:
That is such a poor card, you should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting it.

@OP the 3650 is by far the better choice.


Shut up monkey

* throws banana infused with permanent glue*

and yes i second the 4650
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 4:22:46 PM

Upendra09 said:
Shut up monkey

* throws banana infused with permanent glue*

and yes i second the 4650

*Side steps incoming 'nana*
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 4:48:41 PM

*grabs monkey and shoves banana into its mouth and then makes it chew*


oh look something's wrong with that monkey, we should put it out of its misery
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 4:51:49 PM

Upendra09 said:
*grabs monkey and shoves banana into its mouth and then makes it chew*


oh look something's wrong with that monkey, we should put it out of its misery

*watches from a distance as Uppy assaults a monkey in a case of mistaken identity*
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 4:56:33 PM

*snipes real monkey*
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 5:08:35 PM

*Hears reports over grapvine that a madman is on the loose shooting monkeys at random*
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 5:32:16 PM

*set fire to forest and nukes all areas with in 10 mile radius*


*walks into burnt ashes and finds burnt remains of damned monkey*.....

*shoots it and nukes it again*
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 5:47:04 PM

*Sends report to WWF & NATO containing details of the nutter nuking forests*
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 6:12:17 PM

*goes to underground hideout and devises plans to rid earth of said monkey*
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 7:50:45 PM

Shut up, shut up, shut up!
It seems I'm usually the one suggesting while others do the seconding.
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 7:58:56 PM

sabot00 said:
Shut up, shut up, shut up!
It seems I'm usually the one suggesting while others do the seconding.

:lol:  Who rattled your cage!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 8:19:29 PM

he is just jealous cuz i didn't target him

fine here you go

*tosses dead monkey to sabot for lunch* good job tiger
m
0
l
February 1, 2010 10:39:50 PM

Gee! It's great to be answered by such a bunch of adult individuals.
I am still not sure what I should be looking for.
Thanks a lot!
Nancy
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 11:09:29 PM

get a 4650, it is your best bet
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 11:09:36 PM

member1070 said:
Gee! It's great to be answered by such a bunch of adult individuals.
I am still not sure what I should be looking for.
Thanks a lot!
Nancy

We were just filling in time while waiting for you to respond, a 3650, 3850, 4650 or 4670 ATi card in AGP is about all that's worth getting these days as AGP has been replaced by PCIe and those were the last ones that were made for that interface.
m
0
l
February 2, 2010 1:46:08 AM

Thank you. How will I know if I need to upgrade my PSU and to what I should upgrade it to.
Thanks again,
Nancy


Mousemonkey said:
We were just filling in time while waiting for you to respond, a 3650, 3850, 4650 or 4670 ATi card in AGP is about all that's worth getting these days as AGP has been replaced by PCIe and those were the last ones that were made for that interface.

m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 2:13:50 AM

member1070 said:
Thank you. How will I know if I need to upgrade my PSU and to what I should upgrade it to.
Thanks again,
Nancy

What do you have at the moment?, a 3850 would be the most power hungry @72w and a 4670 will only need about 57w.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 11:19:44 AM

the monkey would know he is very curious, per se


a 350 watt PSU should be fine
m
0
l
February 2, 2010 2:57:34 PM

Thank you all for the help.
Nancy
m
0
l
!