Sign in with
Your question

Intel 3570k water

Last response: in Overclocking
October 29, 2012 3:55:35 PM

Hey, i have a Zalman resterator 1, passive cooling sustem, as well as a 240 rad, and my question is, should i keep the zalman? or does it slow my system down (will be OCing quit a bit,)
any suggestions would be great

More about : intel 3570k water

a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 4:11:32 PM

you don't need watercooling for OCing quite a bit.a $30 aircooler will easily get the job done.
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 4:16:29 PM

Zalman Reserator isn't that good of a watercooling system...it's actually one of the worst. It's not going to slow your CPU down, but it isn't going to allow you to really build a better loop if you decide to watercool GPUs or other components. It's also made from aluminum and you want to avoid mixing aluminium into a loop at all costs. Passive watercooling isn't really a feasible option these days as even low speed fans make a very big difference over passive radiators.
Related resources
October 29, 2012 5:05:20 PM

Ahh, ok, thank you very much, :) 
a b å Intel
a c 108 K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 5:48:59 PM

The 3570K actually runs cool until you start to increase the voltage.
That will be above 4.3. Do you really need more?
An extra .2-.4 comes at a big jump in temperatures that can not be easily controlled, even with a top end liquid cooler.

The value of the reserator is quiet. I would stick with that, or at least try it.
If you want to change, then a $30 cm hyper212 will do a good job if your case has decent ventilation.
a c 190 K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 7:21:46 PM

Bin the reserator, get a decent pump and res and think about more radspace and slower speed fans for a quieter system
I would repurpose the body of the reserator into a hamster home :p 
Moto
October 29, 2012 8:17:41 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Bin the reserator, get a decent pump and res and think about more radspace and slower speed fans for a quieter system
I would repurpose the body of the reserator into a hamster home :p 
Moto

Could it not just be there, as an extra reservoir? i mean, i have nothing but space, and if it helps, just a bit, its worth it? right?
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 8:25:48 PM

An extra reservoir of that size isn't going to do much for you but give you an extra minute or 2 until you reach working equilibrium. The biggest issue is that the Zalman Reserator is made of aluminum and if you have it in a loop with copper or brass components, corrosion is likely to occur unless you have an anti-corrosive coolant.
a c 190 K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 10:33:49 PM

+1, the only issue I have with it is the fact thats its aluminium :-)
Extra res no worries, I have 5 resses myself, but unless you lined the reserator with varnish or a lining kit used for petrol tanks, I would use it as a paperweight or bin it
Definitely do not have it in your loop :-)
Moto
October 30, 2012 6:23:25 AM

Ahh, ok, thank you very much. do you have any ideas for a new water block/New rad, manbe a 360 this time :) 
a c 190 K Overclocking
October 30, 2012 6:38:00 AM

Can't go wrong with a Raystorm block from Xspc and their RX360 or Ex 360's are good rads, Rx over Ex if you have the choice imo,
but the EX is a very good rad anyway and will allow you to add the gfx card if/when you want to, it just has more fins per inch so needs fans with higher static pressure/rpm's to work as effectively as the Rx, which ofc makes them slightly louder to live with, but they are half the thickness which in some smaller cases is a bonus
Moto
!