Seeking advice - AM3/LGA1366 build - Please help

TomSah

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Hi there,

Ive been researching a new computer build for a quite some time with the intention of putting an i7 system together. But after seeing how overhyped this platform is, and the offerings from AMD, i now have a dilemma. Im seeking advice on the 2 builds outlined below.

[Country of origin:] New Zealand

[Purchase date:] The next couple of months hopefully

[Budget:] NZ$1600-2300 (no rebates)

[System usage:] Gaming mainly, no professional video editing or anything of that nature.

[Parts not required:] Keyboard, mouse, speakers

[Preferred website:] www.pricespy.co.nz is what i use to compare prices mainly, it used to be alot sleeker and easier to use but im stuck with it.

[Brand preference:] None

[Monitor:] 22" Samsung T220 LCD

Ill list the core builds for each one, then outline components shared between them after.

(prices are in NZ$)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core Intel Build:
--------------------
CPU: Core i7 920 ($466)

Mobo: Asus P6T SE ($332)

RAM: 3x2GB G.KILL Tri Channel Kit (~$230)

-------------------
Core AMD Build
-------------------
CPU: Phenon II X4 Black edition 3.2Ghz ($268)

Mobo: Asus M4A78T-E AM3 ($224)

RAM: 2x2GB G.SKILL Dual Channel kit (~?)

----------------
Shared Parts
----------------
PSU: PC Power &Cooling Silencer 750w ($200)

Case: Antec 902 ($204)

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 16MB 500GB ($88)

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD5850 ($467)

Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T220 ($324)

DVD: Pioneer DVR-215 ($78)

Arctic Silver thermal compound ~$15
-----------------------------------------------------
The AMD build comes out about $400 cheaper excluding ram for both, so perhaps a little more cheaper.

So what do you guys think?
What would you go with knowing its mainly for gaming?
Any parts for similar prices which are better?
AM3/DDR3 a good idea?

Thanks for your feedback :)

soulbro

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Heya,

I think the 1366 build is better as an all-around workhorse, but the AMD build is a better value if you're using it mostly for gaming. That's what the choice really comes down to.

You did a good job, I think. Definitely go AM3/DDR3 if you're going AMD; no sense obsoleting yourself right out the gate by going with AM2+ or whatever. But if you do decide to go 1366, you could get a less expensive motherboard (my ASRock x58 Extreme was pretty inexpensive, and it has worked like a charm).

-Will

If you're gaming, get the AMD build, but stick in a bigger GPU. You should be getting close to affording the HD 5970. If it's just out of reach, definitely get the 5870.

Another better gaming option than the i7-920 is the i5-750. It would cut a good $275 NZ off the cost. I would get the Asus P7P55D-E Pro as the motherboard if you go that route.