Sign in with
Your question

Install old sata primary hard drive to new system

Last response: in Storage
February 11, 2012 5:47:39 PM

Hello,
Just purchased XPS 8300 with Windows 7 operating system, I want to install my old hard drive to access the data. I is a SATA drive and it was the boot drive using Vista.
I do not want to dual boot just access the data maybe the applications. I have never used Windows 7 anything special here
a b $ Windows 7
a c 351 G Storage
February 11, 2012 6:20:18 PM

No problem, just connect and make sure Bios boot priority set to Windows 7 HDD.. If it was setup in the prefered manner where C = OS + Programs and D = All your generated data/files. You would be able to reformat the "C" drive and reclaim the spcae used by the OLD OS and programs.
February 11, 2012 6:53:51 PM

RetiredChief said:
No problem, just connect and make sure Bios boot priority set to Windows 7 HDD.. If it was setup in the prefered manner where C = OS + Programs and D = All your generated data/files. You would be able to reformat the "C" drive and reclaim the spcae used by the OLD OS and programs.

Thanks Chief,
The new system arrives from Dell on 3/1/2012. I will boot it up check it out and then connect the old drive. Since it is a brand new system the BIOS should already be correct, unless it "thinks too much".
pw(son of CWO IV)
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
February 11, 2012 7:06:45 PM

Another solution is to get a USB "case" that is open and allows you to slide in a 2.5" or 3.5" drive easily. http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=50120&vpn=ET-CSKESU2-...

I say this because you VOID your warranty if you open up the case. This method is just done via USB or eSATA.
February 11, 2012 7:16:27 PM

photonboy said:
Another solution is to get a USB "case" that is open and allows you to slide in a 2.5" or 3.5" drive easily. http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=50120&vpn=ET-CSKESU2-...

I say this because you VOID your warranty if you open up the case. This method is just done via USB or eSATA.

Thanks good thought,
"just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
pw
a b $ Windows 7
a c 351 G Storage
February 11, 2012 7:54:52 PM

Excellent solution, solves the Booting issue. Can pull all your files off the drive, wipe it, to get rid of old operating system, then kind of use it as a backup drive.
!