froboy733

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Hi, I've been having some problems with my computer. Whenever you start the computer everything turns on except no video shows up. There are no beeps or anything like that. I have used a different video card and still got the same problem. I have narrowed the problem down to either the CPU or Motherboard. Before I spend money on new parts I want to see if there's any way to narrow the problem down even more so I only have to buy one thing.

It is an LGA 775 gigabyte motherboard, out of warranty mind you, using a Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz. 2gb DDR2-800 RAM. 8800GTS video card. 320gb Seagate barracuda SATA 3.0 GB/S Hard Drive.

I have replacement parts for everything except for the motherboard and cpu and by subbing in individual ones I have been able to narrow it down to the CPU or Motherboard.

If anyone has any suggestions on ways to narrow it down please let me know.

Thanks, and if you need any other information about the system of what I've tried I'd be happy to provide it.

xaira

Distinguished
was this combo working at any time or is it a new build or an upgrade and has never worked?

Board model?

cpu model?

PSU MODEL?

iot sounds like ram, but if you say uve narrowed it then more likely it is the MB, cpus very rarely go bad

+1

froboy733

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Yes, this combo has worked in the past. The motherboard, cpu, ram, hd, and video card have all worked together previously. I recently changed the case and powersupply but I have also tested with a different powersupply and still experienced the same problem.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

PSU: Rosewill RP550-2 550W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply

I don't believe it's the RAM but I could be wrong. I don't have a 2nd set of DDR2 RAM to test so what I did was put each stick individually in every different DIM slot. I suppose this could mean that both sticks are dead, but what are the odds of that?

Thanks for your help.

randomkid

Distinguished
Tough luck... I think if you have to choose what to buy, I would go for a CPU that is much better than your old CPU. My reason is if it happens to be that your old CPU is defective, then you fix the problem and get a CPU upgrade at the same time.

But if it so happen that you bought the CPU but it turns out the Motherboard is defective, then just buy a cheap motherboard and you got a new good CPU to go with it and a spare C2D that you can use later...

froboy733

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Thanks for your input randomkid, but I would like to have some reason to suspect a dead CPU or a motherboard before I go out and spend money on something that might not fix the problem.

froboy733

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
As I stated in my first post I have tested and narrowed it down to either the CPU or Motherboard, but since I don't have another LGA 775 CPU I cannot test it that way. That's why I'm coming here, to see if anyone knows of any other ways to test CPU/Motherboard failures.

What you can do is buy a motherboard from newegg try it see if it works if it doesn't and you return it with in 30 days you get your money back then you just get a CPU. If you have a microcenter or frys close you can just do it there most places have a 30 day return policy no questions asked so in the time you spent asking this question here you could have gotten a new board and tested it by now. It is very rare for CPU's to die I have only seen a few die and it was usually because of user error with installation and overheating.

froboy733

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
It turns on and everything, I just don't get any video or anything. The power buttons and reset buttons work. I got the same problem in the last case I had it in. And i've removed and reinserted all the standoffs in both cases so I don't think that's got anything to do with it.