Can I use accessory Thinkpad R30 in X40?

I am using the IBM Thinkpad R30.

I already have the R30 docking station, floppy disk drive and CD disc drive.

I am think to buy the Thinkpad X40. Can you tell me if my R30's floppy and
CD disc drives compatible with the X40?

Thank you.
7 answers Last reply
More about accessory thinkpad

    No, sorry, the R30 and X40 series accessories are not compatible.

    Regards,

    James

    Visit the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com

    ==============

    So, I cannot use the R30's floppy & CD drives in the X40 at all, correct?

    "JHEM" <James@thinkpads-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > No, sorry, the R30 and X40 series accessories are not compatible.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > James
    >
    > Visit the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com
    >
    > ==============
    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:31:20 -0700, "akjy" <jgy2001-nospam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >So, I cannot use the R30's floppy & CD drives in the X40 at all, correct?

    The X40's media slice (X4 UltraBase,
    http://www5.pc.ibm.com/us/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_92P3429)
    takes Ultrabay slim accessories. Your R30's CD drive is Ultrabay Plus
    or Ultrabay 2000.

    Slim will fit in Plus/2000 with the following adapter:

    http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-840&langId=-1&partNumber=62P4557&storeId=1

    Obviously the reverse isn't true.

    HTH, Dominique

    > akjywrote:
    So, I cannot use the R30's floppy & CD drives in the X40 at all,
    correct?
    Correct, the R30 accessories are too large to fit the Ultrabay Slim
    bays of the X40 media slice and the X40's dock connector doesn't
    align with the R30's dock.

    Regards,

    James

    Visit the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com

    ==============

    OK. Please help me to understand.

    I am using the R30 computer + floppy drive + CD drive.

    If I buy the X40 + Slim Drive Adapter for Ultrabay 2000 + docking ultrabay
    2000, than I can use the R30's floppy drive and CD drive? correct?

    Is R30 and T40 same drives?

    akjy <jgy2001-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > OK. Please help me to understand.

    I'm certainly trying!

    > I am using the R30 computer + floppy drive + CD drive.

    OK.

    > If I buy the X40 + Slim Drive Adapter for Ultrabay 2000 + docking
    > ultrabay 2000, than I can use the R30's floppy drive and CD drive?
    > correct?

    NO!! The R30 floppy and optical drives are _TOO BIG_ to fit in the Ultrabase
    Dock of the T40!

    If you wanted to use your R30 floppy and optical drives with the new system
    you can connect them via the USB or PC ports by use of the Portable Drive
    Bay 2000:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11171&item=6700766491&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    > Is R30 and T40 same drives?

    No. The R30 uses a standard 2.5" hard drive while the X40 uses the new
    "micro" 1.8" hard drives.

    --
    Regards,

    James

    So this two combination:
    Slim Drive Adapter for Ultrabay 2000 + docking ultrabay 2000
    does not take R30 floppy and optical drives, correct?

    This IBM THINKPAD 19K4480 PORTABLE DRIVE BAY only give me USB & PCMCIA
    connection, not floppy & optical drive connection, correct?

    The R30 floppy & optical drive I have are inserted directly into the R30
    Thinkpad.

    "

    begin 666 s.gif
    $5 $`.P``