System Freeze & Repeat

matm1234

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Hey guys after many months of problems with this pc i thought i had it all worked out.. turns out i have a major issue. For some reason the computer freezes, and loops. Say you were playing MW2 out of nowhere it lags.. then freezes and anything caught in that period say like sound loops and makes like crazy noises. Im fairly computer savvy being that i built my computer but then again maybe thats my problem, :??: Anyways heres a couple things ive tried. I thought maybe it was one of my hardrives because everytime it was plugged in it seemed to do this.. It solved the problem periodically but now i dont even have it plugged in and it continues. Ive ruled out none of the hdd's as the suspect. Now.. 3 huge things in this computer remain unanswered . For some reason my CD/DVD burner is seen as a scsi drive.?? Also the computer is slightly overclocked from a stock 2.8 - 3.19 Ghz. Lastly i suspected the actual sata cables to b the culprite and in desperation i changed atleast one with no luck. Now my boss seems to think the problem may lie with the powersupply but i pray to god my 250$ psu has not bitten the dust only after 3/4 of a year. :pfff: Any help or thoughts is appreciated. Here are my specs and screenshot of some strange things

Mobo: EVGA 750i-ftw <<yes i kno not good

RAM: OCZ Reaper @ 1000

HDD's: 2 250 gb Seagate Barracuda 500 gb WD caviar (<Not in use currently)

Burners: LG SuperMulti

PSU: Coolermaster Real Power 1000w

Videocard: GTX 275 (MSI)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad @ 3.19 (not 2.83)

CPU cooler: Hyper 212 (dual fan) keeps it no hotter then 50 under full load

Cooling is definatly no issue with this computer and i feel as though it is a hardware component not a software issue. This is because after the glitch happens it forces you to shut down as the computer will not function. AND on the reboot i watch and it seems to be missing one of the sata drives. Since i have four itd basically boot up with 3 ( 2 hdd's and my cd/dvd) Instead of all 3 hdd's. Or now even only the 2 hdd's will show and no dvd burner. To fix it i simpily unplug and replug the sata plug and it works??. plz help.

Hit zoom

Now this image may be hard to see but it says that my DVD drive is a SCSI near the top. It also shows that i have some sort of storage controller issue?? and lastly i have an unknown VSO device i assume from one of my thousand burner softwares

matm1234

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Yep thats been a suspicion since the start. I also forgot to mention that shortly after i got the board the audio went byby. This forced me to by a Creative X-fi soundcard. Unfortunatly EVGA warranty wasnt gunna do much then and definatly wont now. If you dont mind me asking what is a decent 775 mobo that has ddr3.?

Your type of problems are often caused by RAM issues. What exact RAM kit do you have? Have you manually set the RAM settings in the BIOS? You have overclocked your RAM, so you'll have to over-volt it and most likely loosen the timings from their rated specs.

Have you run Memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors?

^^ This.

Probably half the cases of random freezing are caused by some kind of RAM issue, usually voltage or timing not being set correctly.

I do know that most OCZ Reaper RAM ends up being WAY over standard-issue voltage (e.g. DDR2 is 2.1V or 2.2V instead of the standard 1.8V, and DDR3 is 1.8V or 1.9V instead of the standard 1.5V). So if you just plugged that in and didn't make any adjustments, you'll probably be having a hell of a time getting the system to work.

matm1234

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Well just ran memtest some strange stuff happened. I tried memtest (free) and ran the 3.5 version for multi cpu it didnt do anything.. then i tried the 3.5 for single and it ran quite quickly and rebooted so i was a bit stumped.. i then tried 3.4 and it ran for around an hour to 1.5 hours. It said passed with no errors. Im a bit to scared to try some other memtest features as i read upon some of the multiple tests it does which seem to outline DO WITH EXTREME CAUTION IT MAY HURT YOUR SYSTEM. so i just stuck with it. but i did however go into my bios and check some settings. Strangely enough i thought hmm maybe my ram is just underpowerd it was set to auto and it had 3 other green zones like 1.95, 2, 2.25 that sorta thing. So i turned it up one notch and increased the actual rating to 1066 (which it was rated for) After a reboot i noticed something fishy tho the numbers didnt match on bootup and it took an odd time to hit the bios it was all default like 800 for ram and 1333 for my cpu. So i returned to my bios My cpu was over voltaged to 1.3 and i kinda went.. wut the ****. It was also set to auto so with that i just restored defaults and here i am. Can someone plz guide me to a safe overclock i like my cpu at about 3.0 ghz and id like my ram atleast at 1100 or so.

There's a whole overclocking section of the forum. Your system isn't even stable yet, so I would get the whole overclocking thing out of your head for the moment. You can try again to overclock the system once you get it stable.

You still need to manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the correct values in the BIOS. I don't know what memory test you were running, but it sure doesn't sound like Memtest86+. You can download Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org and burn the ISO image to a CD. You then boot the computer from the CD and the test starts automatically.