Sign in with
Your question

Video card for presario 7478

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2010 7:54:15 PM

Hello, The monitor on my Presario 7478 comes on but, mostly has B/W "blocks" or other strange figures. The windows logo comes on, faintly behind the strange stuff, for about 40 seconds then goes off. Sometimes after 10 or 15 minutes I get a message "IT IS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER" The monitor works fine on another system and another monitor does the same thing on the Presario. I tried shutting down system and disconnected the power. I'm not sure where the video card is for this model or if that is even the problem. Help!!
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 1:50:23 AM

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Compaq-Presario-7478-161494...

is this your computer?

if so that is wicked old

and the cause of the problem is the video card is dead

and because it is integrated memory you have to get a new mobo or a video card

you won't find one though except for ebay, and there isn't much point in investing on that computer, sorry
m
l
February 3, 2010 4:28:25 PM

2068826,2,396907 said:
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Compaq-Presario-7478-161494...

it is ymine computer?

it is wicked old

but it serves well as a starter computer for the kids.

can you tell me where on the mobo the video card is located?

I have a local place that has a lot of old parts and if it can limp along for another year it will be worth fixing.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 8:07:53 PM

i can't say where the video card is located because it doesn't have one

it has integrated video memory, so it is this little chip soldered onto the board and if you take it off it might damage the mobo
m
l
February 5, 2010 3:04:35 PM

Thanks. I have found an inexpensive PCI video card and am going to try that.
m
l
February 26, 2010 10:46:12 PM

I got an inexpensive PCI video card (and increased my video memory X8) I put it in and it is working fine. Should keep the young one happy for a while. It actually was easy to find PCI video cards at stores and on line. It's wicked old, but still going!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 12:56:41 AM

alright hope it works for a long time cheers :D 
m
l
!