Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Sleep Mode Issues/ATI 5800

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2010 8:04:24 PM

So I am perplexed....

When I had an ATI 4870x2 with Win7 x64 my system would enter sleep mode perfectly on its own. Coming out was an issue as it would literally take anywhere from 30 secs to a minute to wake up - fans would kick in but nothing on the monitor. I was previously running Nvidia before that and it entered and exited sleep mode perfectly.

So swapped the 4870x2 for 5850's: Installed the 9.10's and up and now my system will not enter sleep mode on its own. It will enter it if I hit the Sleep button on the start menu. Screen blanks but the system is on.

So like everyone else I installed the Cat 10.1's and now the system instantly wakes from sleep mode. Ahhhh...driver.... Still wont enter sleep mode on its own - have to press Sleep.

Believe me I have been through everything trying to understand why sleep is an issue. Many, many powercfg options, reports, check boxes, forums and nothing changed anything. Clean install, checking every power option on every tab on every device. But this release of 10.1 makes me wonder if its an ATI issue? Normal install for me - uninstall the Cat's install the newest Cat's.... nothing different on my side...

Yes I am on the most current BIOS of everything, current driver of everything (Intel DX58SO)

So I guess my question is do other ATI users - specifcally 5800 series users - have issues with entering or exiting sleep mode on Win7x64? Did it get any better with any driver releases?
February 1, 2010 9:59:43 AM

vvhocare5 said:
So I am perplexed....

When I had an ATI 4870x2 with Win7 x64 my system would enter sleep mode perfectly on its own. Coming out was an issue as it would literally take anywhere from 30 secs to a minute to wake up - fans would kick in but nothing on the monitor. I was previously running Nvidia before that and it entered and exited sleep mode perfectly.

So swapped the 4870x2 for 5850's: Installed the 9.10's and up and now my system will not enter sleep mode on its own. It will enter it if I hit the Sleep button on the start menu. Screen blanks but the system is on.

So like everyone else I installed the Cat 10.1's and now the system instantly wakes from sleep mode. Ahhhh...driver.... Still wont enter sleep mode on its own - have to press Sleep.

Believe me I have been through everything trying to understand why sleep is an issue. Many, many powercfg options, reports, check boxes, forums and nothing changed anything. Clean install, checking every power option on every tab on every device. But this release of 10.1 makes me wonder if its an ATI issue? Normal install for me - uninstall the Cat's install the newest Cat's.... nothing different on my side...

Yes I am on the most current BIOS of everything, current driver of everything (Intel DX58SO)

So I guess my question is do other ATI users - specifcally 5800 series users - have issues with entering or exiting sleep mode on Win7x64? Did it get any better with any driver releases?

I have a question for you. Why in the world sleep mode is so important for you. With todays hardware you can get into Windows in less than 30 seconds and start all your applications really fast.
BTW, I wasn't able to sleep or hibernate with my system even when I had an nVidia card. Don't know why, don't care anymore. I get to the desktop in less than 30 seconds and open all applications in under 1 minute.
m
l
February 1, 2010 11:18:06 AM

I have an ATI 5870, Asus P6T, i7 920, Windows 7 64 bits, and my Sleep is busted as well. I never let my computer go into Sleep on it's own, but I would like the option working as well.

Hibernate works fine, and that's what I use whenever I want to save some boot time with my HDD.
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2010 10:01:29 PM

I guess Im trying to understand if I missed something with sleep and ATI graphics drivers. The annoying part was waiting for it to wake up - literally taking minutes to resume. With the 10.1 release it resumes from sleep immediately and that was a nice improvement.

But still, if I get up and walk away, I would prefer for the system to go to sleep.

I have spent too much time trying to figure it out already...thanks for the replies...
m
l
February 1, 2010 10:07:54 PM

Hmm. There were problems with the 9.10 driver, and the 10.1 driver.... that's unlucky. I'm using Windows 7 64bit with the 9.12 Hotfix drivers, and sleepmode is functioning well... no cursor weirdness, or some of the other issues experienced in the 9.10 driver. Might be worth a try?

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst9...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2010 10:23:03 PM

vvhocare5 said:
I guess Im trying to understand if I missed something with sleep and ATI graphics drivers. The annoying part was waiting for it to wake up - literally taking minutes to resume. With the 10.1 release it resumes from sleep immediately and that was a nice improvement.

But still, if I get up and walk away, I would prefer for the system to go to sleep.

I have spent too much time trying to figure it out already...thanks for the replies...

Just add your name and problems to this list and then sit back and wait.
m
l
February 2, 2010 1:18:07 PM

Failure to recover from sleep mode can be due to:
1) The Standby 5V is not sufficient to the load or something is wrong with the board that abnormally overload the StandBy 5V

2) These days we have so many USB devices that are conflicting with each other during power up. Overloaded USB supply on the port most of the time prevent the PC from detecting Keyboard Key-Hits or Mice-movement.

Common things that we see on USB ports
- USB Keyboard
- USB Mice
- Bluetooth Communicator
- External Drive(The 3.5 needs Powered-USB, 2.5 can be powered by the USB Port)
- Cell Phone Interface and Charger(which should not be)
- Game controllers
- Multi-Media Remote Controls
- Lights
- Fans

All my PC go to sleep mode and recover normally. I went through this process and simplify my setup.

If you have multiple USB loads use POWERED-USB external hubs. For input devices eliminate duplicate functions such remote controls , game controllers, and keyboards. Some of remote controls get interpreted as another keyboard and it confuses the computer.

Don't charge your cell phone from the PC and the same time connect a 3.5 external drive. Lights and external fans on the USB ports adds a lot on the USB port supply which is very limited.

The above information is one of those possibility and assumes that your OS /Bios Power settings are correct.

FYI

-
m
l
February 2, 2010 1:41:54 PM

I have tried the 9.10', 9.11, 9.12, 9.12 hotfixes and they all acted the same. 10.1 at least wakes it up immediately. The 4870x2 would go into sleep mode but take up to a minute to come out of it.

I run a very streamlined system. Keyboard and mouse are the only permanent USB devices, and my work centers around only these devices being plugged in. No hubs, fans, drives, nada...The add-in cards are an X-FI and 2 5850's. No other devces - esata, etc. I have looked extensively into the power management features of the USB devices and powercfg doesnt report any issues with them (and I have tried both wired and wireless with no change)

I do appreciate the comment leon about checking the bios and other settings. Too many people ask questions in forums without checking the most basic settings, I have been through all of them, explored powercfg extensively, explored the buried power management features.

fulle says his works fine - thats why I am perplexed...
thanks for the link mm

leon, are you using an ATI graphics card?
m
l
February 2, 2010 3:23:03 PM

I have (2) 4890 XOC CF ... The other setup is with GTX280 OC... Both are Quad Core Q6600 (OC to 3.0 GHZ)....Both boards are ASUS Maximus Formula. Both are fitted with 8G of Mem.

Both setup have 2 displays thru HDMI.

My PC are powered on 24x7. It goes to sleep when there is no programmed task. It recovers in one click on the key board or any mice activity.

The longest i run the PC POWERED ON is ~ 43 days without the need of reset(Thats the machine with GTX280).

I'm not very particular on power consumption but i want my pc to be able to SLEEP and RECOVER. It works for me.
m
l
February 2, 2010 3:29:14 PM

Look at your OS_start up setup. A lot of software drivers for mice, keyboards, printers..etc access the internet at start-up looking for updates. Its adds to the complication during boot-up. I disable all un-necessary internet acces. Same thing with windows. I disable the auto-update feature.

My update setting is all manual.... When i want to do it.
m
l
February 2, 2010 3:33:12 PM

This issue is not Video Driver related. At least in my case for both GTX280 and (2)4890 CF.

Both PC can go to sleep mode (programmed time, or through keyboard) with all fans stopped. When a mice is moved or key is pressed it goes back to the last state.
m
l
May 8, 2010 10:43:25 AM

I just upgrade from GeForce 9300 to ATI 5850

It sleep fine before upgrade, after go to ATI it crash every time when resume from sleep.
m
l
!