Major problems stability related

markdagg

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Hello:
How can i find out if my cpu has been over clocked ?? i have been having stability problems with it just clicking off without warning since i got it back from someone that borrowed it ... it is a Gateway with a NV-79 motherboard with the core i-3 330m processor. I have run a few anti virus, spyware, and registry scans and it is clean with no errors. i start it afterwards in safe mode and scan with no problems found

Solution
I will say that I am about 70% certain that it's a bad power supply and about 30% sure that it could be motherboard/cpu/ram/other. You might want to consider spending about $50 to swap the power supply out if you know how. It might be worth the risk to do that than spend a few hundred at a repair shop. If it's not the power supply, you might be able to return it.

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Right click My Computer and select Properties at the bottom. At the bottom of the window, look at Computer:. Make sure the two numbers that have a ghz after them match. If they do not, your system has probably been overclocked.

markdagg

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

They match, but i am still having problems when i use a program that utilizes a lot of processor capacity, as a minute or two later it just shuts off without warning, and i am afraid i will lose stuff i am working on like important proposals, and bids for jobs etc ... i have ran scans or virus, and spyware, its clean, and even scanned for registry errors, only found a few and i fixed them ...

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Computers that shut off like that are usually due to a bad power supply or overheating. You could see if there is anything in the error logs, but that is probably a litle more advanced than you're ready for.

markdagg

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

i have checked the core temps and they are in the right range, but from what i see myself on the error reports i cannot see the probs, BUT i will be the 1st to admit that when it comes to very involved hardware and software probs i am without a clue even though i have installed hundreds of networks from 5 terms to several thousand terms ... this is really messing with me , and it even shut off while trying to reply to this a few minutes ago while the processor was just at about 35%. It will be a while too before i can afford to take it to a qualified repair shop

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
I will say that I am about 70% certain that it's a bad power supply and about 30% sure that it could be motherboard/cpu/ram/other. You might want to consider spending about $50 to swap the power supply out if you know how. It might be worth the risk to do that than spend a few hundred at a repair shop. If it's not the power supply, you might be able to return it.

Solution

markdagg

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

i saw it shut off today with temps much higher than usual ... they were at the 78c range

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
78 C seems a little high. I would try to bring that down some. I would try to reseat the heatsink if you are comfortable with doing that. Or you could downclock your processor to see if that helps. If you don't have a bios option for setting the clockrate, there are applications that will allow you to do it.