Sign in with
Your question

Will a directx 10 card run with directx 11 effects?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2010 8:53:15 PM

Hi guys..i'm here just to ask 2 questions.
Abous 1 and a half year ago i bought myself the His Ati Radeon HD4670 at 512mb and 128 bits....with directx 10...and when Dirt2 appeared i was abble to play the game with the effects of directx11....how is that possible?

And the second question is if i buy a Directx 10.1 card will i be able to experience the full directx 11?
January 31, 2010 9:01:07 PM

sorry if i posted this twice but i'm new on this site:p 
January 31, 2010 9:02:59 PM

THe game will still play but the DX11 effects will not - Dirt2 has both a DX10 and a DX11 version so if your card only supports DX10 then the DX11 additions will not be played (in a few years games will begin to be written exclusively for DX11 instead of being written for dx10 And adding dx11 effects on the side at which point you will need to buy a new video card in order to play the game - which is why if you are buying a card now it is best to get one that supports DX11 so you do not need to buy a new one in a couple years.
Related resources
January 31, 2010 10:10:21 PM

JDFan is right. a DX11 card can produce both DX10.x and DX11 effects, a DX10.x cannot. So if you want to experience the full DX11 effects you will have to buy a DX11 compliant video card (until now only ATI's new 5xxx series support it, NVIDIA claims they will soon too...) and either Windows Vista with the DX11 update or Windows 7 that include DX11 to boot.
January 31, 2010 11:21:09 PM

Your HD4670 is already DX10.1 and no, you were not playing Dirt 2 with the DX11 effects enabled. It's just not possible. Perhaps there's an issue with the interface of the settings menu and it seems like it was enabled but I can guarantee they were not actually in effect when you played.
February 1, 2010 12:23:46 AM

jyjjy said:
Your HD4670 is already DX10.1 and no, you were not playing Dirt 2 with the DX11 effects enabled. It's just not possible. Perhaps there's an issue with the interface of the settings menu and it seems like it was enabled but I can guarantee they were not actually in effect when you played.

Wow! How can you guarantee that? lol

I could only go as far as to be pretty sure about it... but guarantee it... that is a whole new dimension!..

:pt1cable: 
February 1, 2010 12:38:04 AM

darkguset said:

I could only go as far as to be pretty sure about it... but guarantee it... that is a whole new dimension!..

Seeing that the programming for the effects is new to DX11 and DX10.1 cards do not support the features since they were released prior to them being written there is no way a DX10.1 card can run native DX11 effects (they can be rewritten using DX10 but then would be DX10 effects and not DX11) - Same goes for old DX8 cards trying to run Native DX9 code when it comes to things like Hardware transform and lighting or shader model 2.0 they do not support it so can not run games that require it (unless additional programming is included to disable those functions and substitute the older standards that they do support !) - so unless you have a DX11 card it is pretty much a guarantee that you can not run the DX11 effects !!
February 1, 2010 12:38:54 AM

DiRT 2 only has DX9 & DX11 codepaths, so he's playing DX9, however as most reviews stated, only by looking closely at water, banners, and humans will you notice tessellation. Only by looking closely at rocks will you notice HSAO.
February 1, 2010 6:20:17 AM

thx guys for all the answers....i'l save money and i'm gonna buy a directx11 video card now:D .
have a nice day and thx again
February 1, 2010 6:40:45 AM

JDFan said:
THe game will still play but the DX11 effects will not - Dirt2 has both a DX10 and a DX11 version so if your card only supports DX10 then the DX11 additions will not be played (in a few years games will begin to be written exclusively for DX11 instead of being written for dx10 And adding dx11 effects on the side at which point you will need to buy a new video card in order to play the game - which is why if you are buying a card now it is best to get one that supports DX11 so you do not need to buy a new one in a couple years.

NO a DX10 or DX10.1 card will not be able to utilize the DX11 effects, but it will play the game. Actually in the recent article by Toms it stated that Dirt2 will work with DX9 and DX11 but for some reason they did not test it utilizing DX10 or DX10.1. I think because the game is a port of an Xbox and PS3 game which are both capped at DX9 effects. Thus the PC got a DX11 exclusivity(yay...sarcastically). For now it is an ATi exclusinve with DX11, until GF100 that is....
February 1, 2010 9:48:18 AM

darkguset said:

I can guarantee it because unless his year and a half old HD4670 was magically a mislabeled prototype DX11 card it simply 100% impossible.
February 1, 2010 9:54:18 AM

darkguset said:

I can GUARANTEE that
February 1, 2010 11:06:08 AM

A DX10+ card can technically use some of the software enhancements to the DX11 API, but that would require the game/program in question calls the relevent code for this to take effect. So in short: No, a DX10+ card won't be able to use DX11 effects.
February 1, 2010 11:45:16 PM

jyjjy said:
I can guarantee it because unless his year and a half old HD4670 was magically a mislabeled prototype DX11 card it simply 100% impossible.

Nothing is impossible... impossible is nothing!... :D 
!