New core i7 blue screens & freezes

cirobi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Hello,

I'm looking for some outside opinions on some issues I've been having with my new system. It's a freshly built system with a clean copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I'm leaning toward a faulty processor because the errors make it seem obvious, but I've learned from being in this industry long enough that even the most obvious things can potentially have a different root cause.

System Specs:
core i7 920 - retail box, no overclocking
asus p6t mobo
6GB OCZ ddr3 1600 mem kit (3x 2GB)
1.5 GB western digital caviar green drive
corsair 850 watt psu
2 x ait radeon hd 5770
samsung dvd burner
Antec nine hundred case
using on board sound and network for now

The issues come up at no particular time and varying length of time. I've had it happen while trying to type this post as well as while gaming. Processor temps are well within normal ranges as are motherboard temps. Case has plenty of cooling and room to grow in terms of cooling. I ran the memory test windows provides, but we all know windows isn't all that accurate. The crashes usually result in a complete stop of the machine and once it reboots it tells me there was a blue screen error. However, when the crash happens I never actually see the BSoD to obtain details from it.

However, the thing that makes it seem obvious to me and the reason I want to double check with others is the following Event 18 - WHEA-Logger error message:

"A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Internal Timer Error
Processor ID: 2"

The "Processor ID" number has been fairly consistent at 2 since I turned off hyperthreading, but it's not always that ID number. I've read a bunch of stuff about possibilities to fix crashes but none seem to list any event log error messages nor do they seem quite like the issue I'm having anyway. I'd like to call the store I purchased the parts from and inquire about swapping parts if it really is a dying part.

Also, what's a good file reader for reading the dump reports in a way that's actually helpful. None of the default document apps, nor open office seem to do the trick and I'm curious if there's helpful info in the reports since apparently Windows doesn't want me to see the blue screen error first hand.

Thanks in advance for any advice/confirmation/assistance anyone has.

I don't trust the Windows memory test. Have you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the correct values in the BIOS? You should also download Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org and run it overnight to fully test the RAM. It's possible, but unlikely that the CPU is faulty. BSOD's and freezing problems are far more often caused by either faulty RAM or incorrect BIOS RAM settings.

cgreid60

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Greetings

I don't know whether this discussion is past date -- but here goes.

I installed Windows 7 a litle over a month ago ---- I have an ASUS P5K SE EPU motherboard -- which
I found out does not support Windows 7. They go up to VISTA and that's it.

I have been having LOTS of BSOD's --- they occur in many different places and ways. I have a very simple
system --- mouse, keyboard, printer [laser] and video card. I connect to the Internet through BELL.

I have two hard drives [Seagates] and that's about it.

The comment above makes sense to me......

Faulty RAM or incorrect BIOS RAM settings. How do you determine these situations?

I have been thinking of upgrading to a "Windows 7" compatible Motherboard -- or going back to XP.

Intersting though, I was having problems BEFORE I went to Windows 7 ---

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary Reid
Stouffville ON

TRENDING THREADS