Sign in with
Your question

Computer crashes with new build

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2010 2:28:23 AM

I just built my own computer for the first time, and everything seems to be working great except that my computer will crash if I try to play everquest 2. Not necessarily any graphic intense game because I tried downloading the trial for WoW and that works fine. but when i try to play eq2 my entire system will just turn off no more then a couple minutes in. what could be the reason for this?

More about : computer crashes build

a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 8, 2010 11:15:26 AM

We need you to give us every part in the computer. Include the manufacturer and model number. We also need to know if you did any overclocking or other tweaks to the system.

Without your specs, I can only ask more questions.

What have you tried to do to fix it?

Does it turn off when you do other things as well?

Do you get any warning messages?

Have you tried running any benchmarks/diagnostics? Try running Prime95 w/ Real Temp and MemTest86+.
m
l
February 8, 2010 3:45:18 PM

intel core 2 quad q9400
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI
Kingwin Mach 1 600w ATX Modular Power Supply(i suspect the psu may be the culprit and I will be replacing it with a corsair tomorrow if it arrives on time)
Corsair Gaming Memory DDR2 4GB Kit (2x2GB) 800MHz
LG 22X DVDRW IDE OEM
XFX nForce 780i SLI Socket 775 Motherboard
WD Caviar 250GB SATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G

so far it only turns off while I try to play EQ2, wow worked(although I don't play it i installed it to test my system) and everything else works fine so far.
I have tried running memtest86+ and it crashes every time on test 4 no matter which of my 2 sticks of ram I am using. I'm not sure what that means though.
There are no warning or error messages, the computer just completely turns off which is why I suspect the psu. Also the psu is slightly defective anyways, 1 of its 2 fans does not work. Also I'm told that it is not a very reliable brand which is why I ordered a corsair
m
l
Related resources
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 8, 2010 3:48:10 PM

The MemTest failure would mean that you have bad RAM. Try booting from each stick separately. See if you can find which stick is bad. You're probably going to need to buy new RAM...
m
l
February 8, 2010 7:13:33 PM

it crashes with both sticks, but only during this one particular game which seems really strange. I read somewhere that a crash during test 4 might be due to an unreliable power supply. I certainly hope I don't have 2 faulty sticks of ram
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 8, 2010 7:40:28 PM

When you say it crashes with both sticks, is that when both sticks are in or each individually causes it to crash? I believe you're saying the second one, but I'm just making sure.

Do you have the latest drivers installed for the GPU? If so, have you tried rolling them back to an older version?
m
l
February 8, 2010 8:50:30 PM

Do you have a link to your memory kit, would be interested to see if they require higher than the default voltage of 1.8, and if that is your problem.
m
l
February 8, 2010 10:58:05 PM

yes I tested each stick individually and I have the latest drivers for my gpu, although I'm not sure how to try an older version.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
this is the ram i purchased from tigerdirect. does it require a different voltage and how do I go about changing it?
m
l
February 8, 2010 11:01:00 PM

Also I tried prime95 today as well as giving memtest another shot. it crashes during both programs, for memtest either towards the end of test 3 or the beginning of 4. I get the feeling changing the psu will help
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 8, 2010 11:06:55 PM

BIOS. I can't tell if it requires something different. Check the settings online at the manufacturer's website and compare them to what's in BIOS. If they're different, manually set the specs and rerun MemTest86+.
m
l
!