I Think My GTX 260 Is Losing Parts.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Yesterday I did a total tear down and rebuild of my PC. As I was taking out one of my GTX 260s, a little part fell out that looks to be a tiny resistor. It's maybe a few millimeters long. The still works fine. I'm guessing it hasn't been on the PCB for awhile because it just fell out as I removed it from the motherboard. Has anyone had this issue before?

AMW1011

Distinguished

:lol:

Sorry, but you just said no to a question that involves not just you, but everyone else with a discrete GPU,

To the OP, if you can, I would consider RMA in case there may be problems later. If that isn't an option then I would download furmark and 3dmark to stress test the card. If it is fine then there shouldn't be any problems, just keep an eye on it.

It's generally not a good thing but if the card still works I wouldn't worry about it. If you can RMA it though you may want to claim faulty workmanship :D. I had a resistor fall off my Voodo2 two years ago. Still worked, till shortly after a capacitor followed. I wasn't really too concerned though ^_^. I really got to finish getting rid of all this old tech I have laying around.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

You are absolutely right that is an 8800 GTX. I think you cheated because the link told you it was. No extra credit for you. Jokes aside. It looks the same as the resistor on that 8800 GTX in the link.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

I bought the card last August so I have several months to see if any issues pop up. I'm not too worried about it. Or I'm not anymore. I think I'll put my other GPU back in my case and let time take care of the rest. If it breaks out of warranty, that will be my excuse to sell my other GTX 260 and get a 5970 or whatever is the fastest at that time.

EDIT: One issue I guess that I may be having is in Far Cry 2. Upon loading a new game the screen will kind of flicker and then the FPS stabilize shortly after. It takes about 3 seconds and the problem is gone. I have never ran SLI so I'm unsure as to whether this is an SLI stuttering/tearing issue, or a GPU related issue.