Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows XP not installed on C drive

Last response: in Windows XP
September 23, 2012 12:47:03 PM

My PC's original & only internal hard drive was failing & couldn\'t be cloned according to Paragon Partition Manager, so I bought a new hard drive. However, Windows XP installed itself on the K drive, not the C drive & Windows XP does not recognize my Ethernet card (so I cannot connect to the internet), my sound card, my video card, & one other item . The C drive is now assigned to one of my card reader slots. How do I fix this? Do I have to reinstall Windows XP? At this time, I cannot upgrade to Windows 7.

Best solution

September 23, 2012 1:49:25 PM

Yes, you have to reinstall Windows.
September 23, 2012 2:01:14 PM

Is being installed on the wrong drive letter the reason why XP doesn't recognize my ethernet controller, my multimedia audio controller, my SM bus controller, & my video controller? Also, all the cooling fans are operating at high speed & are not slowing down after booting.
m
l
Related resources
September 23, 2012 2:10:29 PM

If you didn't install the correct drivers for those devices then they will not function correctly. It doesn't matter one whit what drive letter is assigned to the system volume.
m
l
September 23, 2012 2:17:03 PM

I have never had to install sm bus controller drivers before after a reformat. What are they for & where do I get them? System specs:

Make & Model Customer Built Unit
Mainboard BIOSTAR Group TP43D2-A7
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
Memory 4096 MBytes STT SUPERTALENT02 DDR2 (PC2-6400)
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Hard Drive #1 new HD
Optical Drive #1 Sony DVD RW AD-7220A
Optical Drive #2 unknown ATAPI IHAS422 8 (ATAPI IHAS422 8)
Sound Card Creative Technology LTD Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Floppy Drive? No
Internet Connection DSL/Cable
Modem/Router? Via a Router
Monitor #1 Samsung SyncMaster 953BW/953GW
Operating System Windows XP Professional
32/64 Bit OS 32-bit
m
l
September 23, 2012 2:26:27 PM

SM Bus drivers are part of the chipset drivers.

You get motherboard drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website.
m
l
September 23, 2012 2:45:52 PM

I have the cd for the MB. The ethernet connection is on the MB, so I'm assuming the drivers for it will be on the CD too. What is an sm bus controller?
m
l
September 23, 2012 7:17:31 PM

What happens if you reassign the card reader that is C: to an unused drive letter and reboot?
m
l
September 23, 2012 11:09:02 PM

Nothing, other than the card reader will now be at another location. The system volume letter assignment is made at installation time and cannot be changed without reinstalling.
m
l
September 23, 2012 11:56:58 PM

XP assigns drives by looking at hardware first, thought the C:\ might move from k to c:\ if C was no longer spoken for.
m
l
September 24, 2012 12:12:28 AM

Nope, system drive is coded all over the registry, reinstall is required to change it.

But you're welcome to try changing it with regedit (can you say "brick")
m
l
September 24, 2012 9:31:16 AM

dreamspinner3 said:
My PC's original & only internal hard drive was failing & couldn\'t be cloned according to Paragon Partition Manager, so I bought a new hard drive. However, Windows XP installed itself on the K drive, not the C drive & Windows XP does not recognize my Ethernet card (so I cannot connect to the internet), my sound card, my video card, & one other item . The C drive is now assigned to one of my card reader slots. How do I fix this? Do I have to reinstall Windows XP? At this time, I cannot upgrade to Windows 7.

Re-installing the Windows would be the perfect option. Put a fresh Windows installation and enjoy fast and smooth access.
m
l
October 1, 2012 12:02:06 AM

I did a clean install & everything worked. Thanks.
m
l
October 11, 2012 12:27:21 AM

Best answer selected by dreamspinner3.
m
l
!