Sign in with
Your question

VERY WORRIED ABOUT THESE TEMPS..

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 16, 2010 1:31:54 AM

Hi, I just built my new rig and will be running everything at stock for now. But I noticed my CPu temps are through the roof
And I don't know why.
When I boot, the Bios says it's idle at 50c... And I just ran handbrake for a while encoding an MKV to MP4 and after a few minutes
I'm hitting 81c, 81c, 81c, 80c highs according to core temp and 81c, 80c, 77c, 81c on the cores according to CPUID HM.
Don't even ask about prime95 torture test...
Now I know this is stock intel HS/Fan, and I Have reseated it with new paste twice, but these temps are scary right?
Could this be a duff CPu or MOBO?
HELP!
Oh yeah, I have an Antec 900 case aswell.

More about : worried temps

a c 127 à CPUs
April 16, 2010 2:19:39 AM

Two things:

What CPU do you have and what is the ambient temp in the room your PC is located?

81c is something to be worried about and even with the stock fan, the CPU shouldn't reach more than 60-65c at stock speeds.
m
l
April 16, 2010 2:38:20 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Two things:

What CPU do you have and what is the ambient temp in the room your PC is located?

81c is something to be worried about and even with the stock fan, the CPU shouldn't reach more than 60-65c at stock speeds.

first of all sorry about nit posting specs, I thought my sig
would show up.
Anyway I have Asus p7p55d-e lx
i7 860 2.8ghz, 4g G-Skill DDR-1600

my office is kinda cold but I don't know the ambient
room temp...
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 à CPUs
April 16, 2010 2:58:08 AM

All I can say is since the ambient seems decent, if it feels cold its proabbly around 70F/25c, then its probably your heatsink. You might want to upgrade it because the stock one doesn't seem to be working properly.
m
l
April 16, 2010 3:18:09 AM

Well I have a Corsair H-50 coming from Newegg
tomorrow, so I'll get that installed and hopefully,
will see some decent heat control.
I'll post results. I am just a little freaked
that a stock heatsink/fan could perform so poorly...if that's what it is.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2010 3:20:41 AM

Are you sure the temp sensor is right?

Have you checked if the heat coming out of the fan is burning hot?
m
l
April 16, 2010 4:23:47 AM

amdfangirl said:
Are you sure the temp sensor is right?

Have you checked if the heat coming out of the fan is burning hot?

You mean should I just feel the breeze with my hand under load? I'll try it.
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
April 16, 2010 4:39:30 AM

That Corsair is pretty good. Should drop temps. I have seen people with a Core i7 920 OCed to like 4.3GHz on air hitting 71C but what you have is abnormal.

Does the Corsair cooler have push pins or does it actually come with a back plate and screws? Hopefully the latter.
m
l
April 16, 2010 5:38:18 AM

It has the backplate and screws:) 
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
April 16, 2010 6:04:37 AM

Your temps are much to high. If you are running at stock freqs, with a stock air cooler in an Antec 900 case, either you have faulty CPU temperature sensors (unlikely) or your heatsink is not installed properly.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2010 12:35:49 PM

New thermal paste time?
m
l
April 16, 2010 12:53:30 PM

When you reseated did you redo thermal paste or just lift up and reattach? If you skipped reapplication, go back.

That processor should run a lot cooler. Running an I7-920 OC'd with stock HSF with 8 threads of Milkyway@home and 1 GPUGrid (also uses some CPU) at 100% load was getting about 80-82C. Just doing some video work should not even tax the processor much.

Also, don't rely on MB Bios, verify with some trusted apps like Real Temp or Core Temp and several others.

Good Luck,
m
l
April 16, 2010 1:52:24 PM

Hi
I think there are three things you can do:
1) take the heatsink fa out and examine it for any broken grills and stuff. if it is perfectly normal, that is nothing is broken then
2) check if the thermal paste is there and in the right amount.
3) seat the heatsink fan and recheck if it is perfectly seated.
If the problem still exists then i think there is something wrong with your motherboard because even if you use stock heatsink, the temps must not be that high. it can be that the sensor on the motherboard is faulty or something. Hope i helped.
m
l
!