First Time Overclocking - i5 3570k

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Hello Everyone, I've finally received and assembled my computer. I've never overclocked a computer before, so I'm looking for someone more experienced to give me feedback and suggestions.

My set it is what's in this list: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=25161407

I've managed to push my CPU to 4.1GHz at auto voltage with a maximum temperature of 81 C. And when I went to 4.2 GHz the temps went to 93 C (max) on auto voltage. I've been testing with Intel Burn Test on High. The 4.1Ghz setting has received an 8hr test with Prime95 and passed. CPU-Z gives me an average core voltage reading of 1.28V. Whenever I touch the voltages or get to >4.2, that's when bad things start happening...

I've read some guides on overclocking on the Internet for Ivy Bridge and GIGABYTE motherboards, it just seems like I've been doing something wrong or I'm missing something. I'm not sure, anyway how hard do you think I can push this CPU without frying, or rather what can I do to find it out (again without frying the damn thing XD)?

Thanks for your help (if you so volunteer it)!

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Hello there! Nice build you got there.

The high temps you are experiencing are from the auto voltage you are using, it over compensates and since Ivy Bridge tends to be more fragile towards higher voltages temps tend skyrocket. In addition also that you are using a MicroATX case with not allot of airflow. I would use a - offset voltage but you are going to have to test it out yourself by lowering the voltage in incriments and running Prime95/IBT to see what's stable for your system.

Mileage my vary from system to system but as a comparison my 3570k with 212 EVO @ 4.2ghz with a max voltage of 1.096 at full load(0.984 @ idle) with Prime95 temps max at 61c, IBT yield temps of 68C max with room temp of of 23c/73F running a full tower case.

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Sorry it's been so long since my last response, but tests and finding information takes time, especially long-run tests. I've managed to get to 4.3Ghz. My CPU does not seem to respond too well to low voltages (causing good old BSOD). Temperatures are starting to get a little high for my liking (+90C sounds a little scary to me) There is a concern about another component, the PCH gets to a max of 100C (ITE IT8728F, this reading it listed below the motherboard).

Current overclock is 1.020V at idle 1.332V Max on load. Max CPU temp 90C. Passes short-run test of IBT x12 on high. I'll tweak down the voltage on the CPU and see if I can keep it stable.

Edited, because my keyboard was feeling trigger happy today.

NightHawk87

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Holy Smokes Your temp is Extreme High I was at 4.2ghz on auto voltage but then set it at 1.210v for stable & my Max temps was under 70!! You dont need 1.332v to run it at 4.2ghz or 4.3ghz o.o that is to much!!! You never wanna go over 90c on the Chip the Max is 105 for cpu but never go over 90 If I was you!!! Reset your BIos & Cmos & Start over again!! Bump your Cpu Clock Ratio at 4.2ghz & put 1.200v & if that Crash bump it up till you find it Stable!! Never Leave it on Auto Buddy it adds up to much Voltage!!

NightHawk87

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
I have Hyper Evo 212 also just like you but different mobo!! & idk what PCH means & I dont think that sounds good when its at 100c yikes!!! Everything is going extreme hott here let me check out some things

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Some more stats for you:

At 4.2Ghz (seems to be a "happy" spot)
Max Voltage: 1.272V (On BIOS it's 1.255 -0.20V)
Max CPU Temp: 83C (reduced from 89C, due to improper cooler install)
Max ITE IT8728F PCH Temp: 90C (this temperature is this evil on any setting :C, I wonder if it's "normal")
this component is at 48C at idle. (Edit: Haven't had much luck finding information on this one)
This setting has passed short-run and long-run tests.

NightHawk87

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
ya I saw that but the Cpu Vcore is way to High for that Voltage you dont need no more then 1.220v for 4.2ghz!!!!!! What do you have it on Auto or something on Vcore??

PCH I dont think that is Good idk hopefully someone can come threw & Explain what that does!! But if its 100c That doesnt Sound good!!!!

NightHawk87

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Idk how to use Offset Thing someone Else would have to help you on that but Change the Cpu Vcore at 1.200v & Cpu CLock Ratio at 4.2ghz & find it Stable it should not go over 1.220v!!! 1.272v is way to high bro lol

NightHawk87

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
ya when you set it at .025v is that vcore or offset which do you mess with?? & running i5 3570k at 4.2ghz you can have it on auto voltage but gives it more power when it doesnt need that much!!! I saw between 1.188v to 1.210v people was able to get it stable!! Every board is different so gotta find your stable for cpu w/e Freq u looking to get

I'm at 4.5ghz at 1.295v Have my Vcore Loadline on Turbo

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
PCH(Platform Controller Hub) is basically the southbridge on your board its covered by the blue heat sink on the bottom of the board it controls all the I/O functions and data such as USB, AUDIO allot of data travels through there. According to Intel it's TJ max is 108C for that component although 90c in my opinion is still high my PCH temps doesn't go above 40c. I would run the computer with the side cover off and if you have a extra fan lying around point it at the motherboard and check temps again it's either bad air flow or that heat sink covering the PCH is not on correctly or a combination of both also the sensor could just be bad. As far as the ITE IT8728F that's a chip on the motherboard it's responsible for sensor data monitoring and fan control.

As far as CPU those voltages and temps are high for that clock speed with that cooler as stated before you have lack of air flow in that case I think. At that clock speed you should be at a voltage of like 1.1xx rather than 1.2.

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I can see why PCH has a problem... Plan is to buy a 120mm system fan for the bottom at the first opportunity I get, suggestions welcome.

Picture of the computer:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89948342@N02/8176892797/

Try to keep in mind this is my first build. I certainly welcome any help.

NightHawk87

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Ya nice Build man Hope you get everything working correctly!!! Max Temp for Cpu is 107 never wanna go over 90c!! & if you can Add another 120mm Fan onto that Hyper Evo 212 it helps keeps temps low I added another one on mine gave me 8c off which I thought was good I got both fans pushing 1500rpm & over!!

footlong96

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

You got overclocking wrong if you think every single chip doesnt need more than 1.220. That was your chip. Not every chip is the same. He could have drawn a bad chip and may need 1.4v for 4.3ghz. We dont know. Or he could stablize at 1.18 for 4.2ghz. Every chips the same. Stop going to every thread and saying the same "oh no man go to 4.2ghz and 1.2 votls and keep adding volts if it crashes"

NightHawk87

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
^^^ you get outta here man I'm here to help others idiot!!! & I know that every Chip is not the same idk why you're telling me this!!!! & Shut up I can do what ever I want I'm Helping others I'm not like you Bitching at someone bout stupid ***!!! & get back to me on my Forum pussy we been talking lately you been ignoring *** so!! Stop doing what you do man & Wasting up someone else Page When you're SUppose to help if not dont Bitch bout what someone else is saying to Help IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NightHawk87

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
If He could have drawn a bad chip and may need 1.4v for 4.3ghz Why dont you let him know then dang!!!!! people like you need to seek some help! man I mean idk why you tell me to stop posting on every forum & *** I mean you're not my mom & you dont own the Page or Site!!!! ┌П┐(◉_◉)┌П┐

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
... Could a mod here please close this thread? I still do have that question of a recommended 120mm system fan for the PCH, but I don't think it's going anywhere given the last few posts.

(It's fine that I would get only 4.2Ghz and that I got unlucky, 4+ Ghz was the goal, I just want to see how far I can safely push it.)

Back to testing...

Status
Not open for further replies.