Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Opteron good for gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
April 16, 2010 1:45:47 AM

Hey,

I was wondering if buying the amd opteron would keep me set for a while when it comes to gaming... i heard that it won't bottleneck ever, but i was worried about it's low speeds... (ie) 1.8 ghz what're your opinions?

More about : opteron good gaming

a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 16, 2010 1:53:04 AM

Which opteron? There are quite a few opterons, some of which are good, and others of which are not.

I will say though, that a 1.8GHz opteron probably won't be a good choice.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 16, 2010 2:17:51 AM

I agree with CJL. The lower clock speed will bottleneck your GPU and cause the game to lose performance.

If you can, a Phenom II or Athlon II would be a better choice of a CPU for gaming.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 16, 2010 2:58:46 AM

Opterons were great processors to swap into a socket 939 motherboard and overclock like crazy, about 5 years ago. Today, forget about them.
April 16, 2010 11:09:31 AM

kk thanks
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2010 2:47:22 PM

why an opteron ??? aren't phenoms we have not good enough ?? i'd always suggest a phenom over an opteron... for general purpose..
a c 131 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 17, 2010 4:30:29 AM

jitpublisher said:
Opterons were great processors to swap into a socket 939 motherboard and overclock like crazy, about 5 years ago. Today, forget about them.

Opteron is a line of processors stretching back decades. Each with a different architecture. Modern Opterons have the same architecture as the phenom II.
OP, this is the reason why the model of the opteron was called into question. Without it, this thread really can't progress in any useful way.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 7:01:24 AM

enzo matrix said:
Opteron is a line of processors stretching back decades. Each with a different architecture. Modern Opterons have the same architecture as the phenom II.
OP, this is the reason why the model of the opteron was called into question. Without it, this thread really can't progress in any useful way.

Actually the opteron was first released in 2003. Just 7 years ago. They are AMD's server chip and they have always used the same basic architecture as the desktop line. They are higher quality than their desktop counterpart for stabiliy and 24/7 operation and therefore often overclock very well.

The problem is that in the old days, socket 939 for example, opterons were available for the desktop sockets as well as the server socket. AMD has not done that lately. So getting an opteron today usually means a server socket as there are no opterons for socket AM3. This is why desktop opterons are almost nonexistant now.
April 17, 2010 12:00:04 PM

i did find an opteron for socket am3...
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 12:10:40 PM

Your right they did make a couple. Ive never seen them for sale, but they are listed. They did some AM2+ Opterons also. Would be interesting to see how they would perform.

I doubt its worth the price premium though.
April 17, 2010 3:09:48 PM

it's only $150 should I take the plunge?
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 9:24:54 PM

Thats entirely up to you. If you do, make sure it runs on your motherboard and its only worth it to try overclocking. Remember, locked multiplier.
April 17, 2010 10:36:45 PM

Add 10 bux and you can get a 955 Black from the "E" with free shipping.

Got a 939 Opty still plugging along on my Home server and they are good chips. But. When you can get so much better for the buck why bother?
April 17, 2010 11:31:49 PM

alright thanks guys I appreciate it!
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2010 1:59:53 AM

misry said:
Add 10 bux and you can get a 955 Black from the "E" with free shipping.

Got a 939 Opty still plugging along on my Home server and they are good chips. But. When you can get so much better for the buck why bother?

good question. The answer is "overclockers toy". These are typically higher grade chips than their desktop counterparts. In the 939 days, they did overclock better than the desktop chips. But back then you didn't have the line of chips with unlocked multipliers like today.

Still, If I had the money to blow, I might give it a whirl.
April 18, 2010 2:06:53 AM

ya... well it was advertised as not ever bottlenecking anything because it "has no fsb" i didn't quite get that (maybe i'm just incompetent) anyone know if that's even possible?
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 18, 2010 1:15:03 PM

Martin 71 said:
ya... well it was advertised as not ever bottlenecking anything because it "has no fsb" i didn't quite get that (maybe i'm just incompetent) anyone know if that's even possible?

Nonsense. It is the exact same processor as any other Athlon. The're simply binned higher. Without over simplifying too much, they are merely the very best processors that come off the line. The silicon they are made from is the most perfect, the best, tests the highest.
There are some minor differences in the memory controller and data path width, mostly tuning for multi-CPU support. Opertons will work in multi CPU platforms, the rest of AMD's line will not. They can use ECC memory, standard processors cannot. The processors themselves are actually a tiny bit slower at a given clock rate than their Athlon cousins due to increased wait states for accuracy and error checking. That is the key for server use. But on the other hand for speed, since they are made from the highest binned silicon, they overclock very, very well.
April 24, 2010 4:50:13 AM

jitpublisher said:
Nonsense. It is the exact same processor as any other Athlon. The're simply binned higher. Without over simplifying too much, they are merely the very best processors that come off the line. The silicon they are made from is the most perfect, the best, tests the highest.
There are some minor differences in the memory controller and data path width, mostly tuning for multi-CPU support. Opertons will work in multi CPU platforms, the rest of AMD's line will not. They can use ECC memory, standard processors cannot. The processors themselves are actually a tiny bit slower at a given clock rate than their Athlon cousins due to increased wait states for accuracy and error checking. That is the key for server use. But on the other hand for speed, since they are made from the highest binned silicon, they overclock very, very well.

Okay, I agree that Opterons can be overclocked very well.. BUT they are old, and the best deal would be a new phenom II because it is on AM3 - and nowadays at AMD the AM3 pin-set is the sound of future.
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2010 4:57:23 AM

L3Wy said:
Okay, I agree that Opterons can be overclocked very well.. BUT they are old, and the best deal would be a new phenom II because it is on AM3 - and nowadays at AMD the AM3 pin-set is the sound of future.

Had you bothered to read the thread, you would know we were talking about socket AM3 Shanghai Opterons.
April 24, 2010 10:29:25 AM

experts wannabe ftl
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 24, 2010 11:50:05 AM

L3Wy said:

I think we already established he would be far better off with a Phenom, you really should read the entire thread.
April 24, 2010 12:12:22 PM

FALC0N said:
But back then you didn't have the line of chips with unlocked multipliers like today.

Meh. If you want the "old time" overclocking experience just play with the FSB, GPU and memory clock. It would take me at least 2 weeks to find and confirm a sweet spot `cause I didn't spend 24/7 in front of the CRT.

Just get a Black chip, crank it up to BSOD, click it back a notch or two and brag about your sweet overclock.
a c 146 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 5, 2010 5:19:52 PM

I actually have 2 systems running Opteron 1354 processors. One is a home built Windows Home Server with approx. 4.5TB of disk space and the other is a Win7 Pro X64 desktop. Both are using non-ECC, standard desktop type DDR2 memory. The desktop machine has been used for both gaming and general computing stuff by my daughter.

Bottom line, they both perform great. When I bought these processors from the Egg, I think they listed at $89 with free shipping. When I did the price/power comparison, I chanced it. These CPUs were not certified for use in their respective motherboards, but they work fine and were recognixed properly (one MSI and one ECS board).

If you want to play around AND can get for the same or better price than an equivalent/similar Phenom/Athlon X4 then go for it and get an Opteron. If you are building a true server, buy the Opteron. If you are buying a desktop/HTPC/gaming platform go with the Phenom/Athlon II X4. You'll save a few $$$.

For all practical purposes, my Optys are indistinguishable in performance to the other Phenom based systems I have of similar configuration.

HOOAH!!!
!