Sign in with
Your question

Best Fan Setup with Current Number and Heatsink

Last response: in Overclocking
October 31, 2012 12:27:57 AM

Hello, all! At the moment I have 3 case fans, 1 CPU fan, a graphics card fan. My new heatsink (CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo) has the option of adding another fan, and as such I am considering if I should move one of my case fans.

Here is my current setup:

And here is the potential setup:

To be clear, the yellow is my motherboard, the bottom green block is my graphics card (most of it is just a heatsink), the top green block is my CPU heatsink (it really is that big), the red is the fans, and the arrows are the airflow. I apologize for the amateur drawing, but it's the best I can do (ironic, since I'm actually a really good image EDITOR).

I would appreciate if you all would give me your opinions as to which setup would be most effective. The image is mostly to scale.

Thanks!

~Darkus
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2012 1:27:13 AM

Adding an identical 2nd fan will net you 1 to 3C better temps.

Adding a second "whatever" fan can actually hurt temps.

Heat sink fans need to have high static pressure ratings to overcome the resistance of pushing air into, our pulling air out of a heat sink. And if you are using two fans you should ensure the two are either identical, or "play nice" with each other.

I recommend leaving your fans as the "current setup" shows. Or if you want the extra couple degrees, get another fan just like the one it came with.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
October 31, 2012 1:41:01 AM

Alright, I'll keep it as is. Thank you!
m
l
!