Gateway Solo 1200 overheating

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2004 10:07:08 PM

have a Gateway Solo 1200 that keeps overheating due to the fact that
the fan is broken. This causes the laptop to constantly reboot. I
know the fan is dead but I don't know how to get into the laptop to
replace it. When I wrote to Gateway they told me that the only way I
can have it replaced is to send it in to them but I know that I can
replace it if I could just get the casing off. The problem is the LCD
screen blocks two screws that I need to take off in order to get the
casing off and get to the fan. I am familiar with desktops, but not
with laptops. That's why I can't figure out a way to get to the fan.
Anyone know any ways to fix this problem?

==============
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2004 11:54:52 PM

bambino174 wrote:
> have a Gateway Solo 1200 that keeps overheating due to the fact that
> the fan is broken. This causes the laptop to constantly reboot. I
> know the fan is dead but I don't know how to get into the laptop to
> replace it. When I wrote to Gateway they told me that the only way I
> can have it replaced is to send it in to them but I know that I can
> replace it if I could just get the casing off. The problem is the LCD
> screen blocks two screws that I need to take off in order to get the
> casing off and get to the fan. I am familiar with desktops, but not
> with laptops. That's why I can't figure out a way to get to the fan.
> Anyone know any ways to fix this problem?
>
> ==============
> troubleshooting newsgroups.

I will guess that 90% of laptop mainboards can be accessed without a
complete case disassembly by removing the keyboard. The keyboard access
is through one piece that is removed from the top or bottom margin of
the keyboard platform. Some GW laptops, including the Solo 1200, have a
strip containing the power key at the top margin, between the keyboard
and the hinges, that hides the keyboard retaining screws. Looking at
the photos at GW, it looks like that might be a snap-in that lifts out
by gently prying up on the edge next to the keyboard or has releases
below that edge that are pushed in gently with a small screwdriver, etc.
Look closely in the open area above the function keys, whatever is
required should be visible, especially if you depress those keys one by
one.

a b D Laptop
August 12, 2004 5:45:34 PM

On 11 Aug 2004 18:07:08 -0400,
bambino174@excite-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (bambino174) wrote:

>have a Gateway Solo 1200 that keeps overheating due to the fact that
>the fan is broken. This causes the laptop to constantly reboot. I
>know the fan is dead but I don't know how to get into the laptop to
>replace it. When I wrote to Gateway they told me that the only way I
>can have it replaced is to send it in to them but I know that I can
>replace it if I could just get the casing off. The problem is the LCD
>screen blocks two screws that I need to take off in order to get the
>casing off and get to the fan. I am familiar with desktops, but not
>with laptops. That's why I can't figure out a way to get to the fan.
>Anyone know any ways to fix this problem?

Get a tech who is familiar with laptops. Working on desktops is a lot
easier than working on laptops; laptops were made by people with tiny
hands, working on them is severely annoying.
a b D Laptop
January 21, 2005 11:31:33 PM

i have that same problem. how do you tell if it isn't the heat sink
in the laptop or if it was the actual fan?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 23, 2005 1:35:00 AM

Well i know not to run it but does anyone know how to see weather it
is the actual fan or the heat sink. these are two different parts
and the heat sink cost more than the fan.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 23, 2005 8:31:35 AM

You'll have to take it out and see if its integrated to the point
where you cant get the actual fan motor out of the heatsink. Most of
the time you can change just the fan motor.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 23, 2005 3:30:54 PM

now if the fan doesn't work when the laptop gets hot does that mean
that i need to change the fan? or is the heat sink the actaul motor?
or is the motor somewhere else?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 23, 2005 3:44:54 PM

mpfootball_aa wrote:
> now if the fan doesn't work when the laptop gets hot does that mean
> that i need to change the fan? or is the heat sink the actaul motor?
> or is the motor somewhere else?

Many laptops have a heat sink connected to a heat pipe cooling system
with a finned radiator supplied with cool air by the fan. The fan is
not phyically part of the integrated cooling system, i.e., it is
replacable without accessing the heat sink. If the fan is not working,
then it is either failed or jammed with fibers, fur, pizza and must be
cleaned. In any event, you need to open the case to determine if the
fan has failed or if it is restricted. In other cases, the fan is part
of the heat sink. Exact OEM parts are required to do the replacement -
nothing off the computer store shelf is going to work for a laptop.

a b D Laptop
January 24, 2005 12:31:20 AM

If you can disassemble and post some digital photos I may have a fan
motor here that will work.. These are generally 5V across the board
and fairly standard as far as RPM but the cage, and or blade is whats
also important. Tangical fan assemblys and blades work different from
a conventional push/pull standard fans. Q is also correct 100
percent.. You wont find these parts at a retail shop and the buildup
is generally the issue.. (I hoard/save oddball parts as you never
know when you will need to help sombody).. Repaired an HP last week
P-4 system fan failed from the dust bunnys actually killing it and
replaced it with a similar Toshiba fan motor and blade.. Works
excellent but it did require complete disassembly and some slight
modding to accomidate it. HP was astronomical on the complete assy
and I'm a jack of all trades from welding/machining, Auto repair,
Television repair, (back when it was economical and profitible) To
Brain surgery if I just had a few more patience/patients....
(joking).. Talk soon guys we will help though.
Ken
www.ikenfixit.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 24, 2005 8:03:48 AM

Hi there

Try here: http://tuxmobil.org/disassembly_laptop.html I had to
replace the fan in my Sony Vaio, my exact model isn't listed but the
tips I got were enough to let me replace it (cost £30 for a tiny fan!)
They mention a Gateway 9300, so it might give you a start. I also got
instructions for replacing the HD here so replaced the HD with a 30Gb
model and the CD with a DVD/CDRW combo. I'll get a few more years out
of the old girl now.

Good luck

bambino174 wrote:
> have a Gateway Solo 1200 that keeps overheating due to the fact that
> the fan is broken. This causes the laptop to constantly reboot. I
> know the fan is dead but I don't know how to get into the laptop to
> replace it. When I wrote to Gateway they told me that the only way I
> can have it replaced is to send it in to them but I know that I can
> replace it if I could just get the casing off. The problem is the LCD
> screen blocks two screws that I need to take off in order to get the
> casing off and get to the fan. I am familiar with desktops, but not
> with laptops. That's why I can't figure out a way to get to the fan.
> Anyone know any ways to fix this problem?

troubleshooting newsgroups.
December 6, 2009 4:47:12 PM

I know this is an old thread, but this just happened. I was able to get the fan working on a Solo 1200 by using a paperclip to clear out enough dust clumps from around the fan. I didn't need to open the case; I just poked the end of the paperclip carefully into the vent slots. I thought that fan must have been killed by not being able to spin for so long, but the fan started right up once the obstruction was cleared.

This one has another weird problem, though, that I'll most likely need to do some searching to fix. If you pick up the machine a bit too vigorously while it's running, it shuts down. It might just be too weak a connection with the AC adapter plug (and the battery is completely dead, which adds likelihood to this theory), but it might be something more serious.
!