Sign in with
Your question

Non-US Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2010 7:42:10 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as the build is definitive

BUDGET RANGE: 4000-4500 RON = 1300-1600 USD (1 USD = 2.96 RON) (keep in mind that the actual value of a dollar differs too)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, watching movies up to 1080p, surfing the internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: emag.ro / evomag.ro (emag.ro preferred for its better delivery service)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Romania

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

PARTS:
Case Antec VSK-2000
HDD Western Digital Caviar Blue, 320GB, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache, SATA2 - I have extra external storage
CPU Intel Core i5 650 3.20GHz
Memory Kit Dual Channel Kingston 4GB (2 x 2048 MB), DDR3, 1333MHz, ValueRam
PSU Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W
DVD Writer LG GH22NS40, SATA
Keyboard + Mouse Kit MS Wireless Optical Desktop 1000
Monitor LCD Samsung P2250N, 22'', Wide

The motherboard/graphics card is where I'm the least sure. The options are:
Asus P7P55-LX with Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB or Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB - there's also an Asus and a Gigabyte version available for the HD 5850, which are only slightly more expensive, but I like the Sapphire design best, so unless there are serious issues with this version of the card, I'll stick with it

or

Asus P7P55D PRO with 2 x Asus ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB or with 2 x either Asus nVidia GeForce GTS250 1GB or XFX nVidia GeForce GTS250 1GB - these last three choices actually cost exactly the same

- I'm inclined towards going with the Asus P7P55D PRO motherboard whichever graphics card I choose, because of the 8x/8x and having both SLI and CrossFireX making it more upgradeable

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

1. I'm looking to be able to play demanding games at their highest settings at 1920x1080, but without necessarily eye-popping FPS.

2. I've read that SLI/CrossFire can cause scaling issues with some games, but how often or how much of a problem is this in practice?

3. If I do choose the doube graphics card setup, how would you estimate the case would fare against two cards in SLI/CrossFire temperature-wise? If I go with the nVidia GTS, do you propose I buy the "boxed" versions from XFX or the open ASUS design?

4. I'm also unsure about total PSU wattage needed in case of SLI/CrossFire.

5. How much does a CPU factor for in game performance? I know that it varies between games, including the number of cores a game actually uses, but is there a general percentage?

6. If anyone's up for looking through the pages provided, the translation for the cathegories are:

Componente PC = PC Components
Procesoare= Processors/CPUs
Placi video = Graphic Cards
Placi de baza = Motherboards
Carcase = Cases
Memorii = Memory
Surse = Power Supplies
Unitati optice = Optical Disc Recorder
Periferice = Peripherals
Tastaturi = Keyboards

Images and universal component names may help, and hopefully filters are easily understandable, but if more translations are needed feel free to ask.

I'm aware that helping someone through sites in a foreign language requires more patience than normal, and I appreciate any help or advice given. Alternatively, you can use English sites for components suggestions and I'll see if they're available myself, it's completely fine by me.

More about : gaming build

February 8, 2010 8:10:58 AM

^ Some changes...
1. CPU - IMO the i5 750 is a better option...It is a Quad compared to the dual 650...and is better suited for multiple graphics setup...
http://www.emag.ro/procesoare/procesor-intel-174-coretm...

2. PSU - If you are going with HD 5850, then get the Corsair 750TX as it has the required power connectors for 2x HD 5850s and will have some headroom too...
http://www.emag.ro/surse/sursa-corsair-cmpsu-750tx-750w...

3. HDD - This is better option...
Samsung F3 500GB - It is very fast and efficient...
http://www.emag.ro/hard_disk-uri/hdd-samsung-500gb-7200...

4. Mobo - If you want a cheaper yet equally good alternative ...
http://www.emag.ro/placi_baza/placa-de-baza-msi-p55-gd6...
http://www.emag.ro/placi_baza/placa-de-baza-gigabyte-p5...
February 8, 2010 8:55:44 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Went with the i5 750, MSI motherboard and the samsung 500gb.

I'm still pondering on the 750TX, and that's because I still need advice regarding what graphics card setup to go with.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I also have the option of taking an nVidia 9800GTX+ I already have from a system, and buy another GTS250 to have them in SLI, but I'm not sure if they'll bring the performance I'm looking for.

The HD 5850 is really tempting.
Related resources
February 8, 2010 9:07:48 AM

^ A single 5850 is a good option as it will be as powerful as the 9800GTX+ SLI...
And also by going with a single card now, will give you the option to add 1 more HD 5850 later on...
February 8, 2010 9:11:15 AM

That's what I keep thinking, but it's probably what I'll go with. Thanks for all the help. :) 
February 8, 2010 9:14:30 AM

Glad I could help :) 
February 8, 2010 12:51:34 PM

Sunt si site-uri mai ieftine ...motherboard Gigabyte P55-UD3R
February 8, 2010 1:07:44 PM

This is an English forum, please keep it in English. And I'm not looking for the cheapest sites, but the most reliable.
!