Status
Not open for further replies.

bombat1994

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Type of computer - Gaming, Video Editor and general computer use

Parts not need - Keyboard mouse and speakers

I might overclock when video editing but other wise not

i intend to unlock the dormant cores to make this a quad core. if the core unlocking fails i will just upgrade the processor once it becomes to slow.

all parts are from www.itestate.com.au

CPU - AMD Phenom II x2 550 $99

Motherboard - GA-MA77OT-U3P $109

Video Card - Gigabyte ati 5770 $199

RAM - 4GB DDR3 1600mhz G-Skill C9 $155

Hard Drive - WD 1TB 64mb 7200rpm caviar black $105

Case - Lancool PC K-56 Gaming Case $89

PSU - Hipro 680 watt PSU $99

Monitor - Samsung 23inch P2350 $209

OS - Win 7 Home premium 64 bit oem $115

the computer came to $1176 australian dollars which is

$1021 USD about what do u guys think

Solution
I diagree. I did the exact same thing myself after reading up on it intensively. I read in a lot of places including http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3730 that there is a pretty decent chance the cores will unlock. The consensus seems to be that around 70% (give or take) will unlock all 4 cores.

I say go for it if you can accept there is a chance it wont work and you will only have a pretty decent dual core. Just make sure your motherboard has the bios settings to unlock. I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P which worked like a charm.

I looked at your selected psu and maybe you should consider changing it to a decent 80+ certified one. I dont have the expertise myself to recommend one, but look around the...

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
your probably not going to succeed in unlocking the cores.

If you have the right mobo, the cores will be unlocked, but the dual core model has a very high chance of having 1-2 bad cores.

usually more luck with the triple cores..

At a build of that price point I would spend 60 more US dollars and you get yourself a good quadcore from the phenom 2 series.

good??

roversjoost

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I diagree. I did the exact same thing myself after reading up on it intensively. I read in a lot of places including http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3730 that there is a pretty decent chance the cores will unlock. The consensus seems to be that around 70% (give or take) will unlock all 4 cores.

I say go for it if you can accept there is a chance it wont work and you will only have a pretty decent dual core. Just make sure your motherboard has the bios settings to unlock. I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P which worked like a charm.

I looked at your selected psu and maybe you should consider changing it to a decent 80+ certified one. I dont have the expertise myself to recommend one, but look around the forums, there are plenty posts discussing good psu's.

Good luck!

Solution

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I have a Phenom II 720 and it couldn't unlock the fourth core(gigabyte Ga-ma_790fxt), Roverjoost said that there's a 70% chance that you can unlock the 2 other cores I would say its less then 25% chance.

At that point the Phenom II 955BE really doesn't cost that much I'd just buy it an get a good quadcore without any risk and without voiding your warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.