Anything I can do?

thompson820

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi, this is my current system, I built it in January 2008 and it holds up pretty well today for gaming and amateur video and audio production.

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory:
4096MB RAM
Hard Drive:
1.5 TB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Monitor:
BenQ FP72E and IBM ThinkVision (In Dualview)
Sound Card:
Sound Blaster X-Fi Audio Card
Speakers/Headphones:
Logitech ClearChat Stereo
Keyboard:
Microsoft USB Digital Media Keyboard (IntelliType Pro)
Mouse:
Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
Mouse Surface:
Desk
Operating System:
Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6
Computer Case:
Thermaltake Soprano DX

I have a pretty limited budget (As little as possible) but was just wondering if there was an easy and cheap thing that I could do to improve my performance.
I've recently added Windows 7, the sound card, a new headset (temporary) and i'm soon getting a new microphone (MXL 990 Condenser - Amateur Podcaster).

I don't really expect to get any really good performance increase on this system without some major cost but it'd be nice to know if there's something that i'm missing.

Thanks!

Solution
Option 1: Get a new CPU. My suggestion is: get the Q9550, if your motherboard supports it. Usually a BIOS update is enough. It doesn't make sense to upgrade to a dual core from a dual core. Especially since newer generation chips are out.

Option 2: Get a new graphics card. If you want the newer Nvidia "Fermi" graphics cards, you're going to have to wait. But you can get the Radeon 5750 or GTS 250 for about the same price. I suggest the 5750. Or you can choose between Radeon 5770 and GTX 260, for about the same price, but higher than the 5750 or GTS250.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Option 1: Get a new CPU. My suggestion is: get the Q9550, if your motherboard supports it. Usually a BIOS update is enough. It doesn't make sense to upgrade to a dual core from a dual core. Especially since newer generation chips are out.

Option 2: Get a new graphics card. If you want the newer Nvidia "Fermi" graphics cards, you're going to have to wait. But you can get the Radeon 5750 or GTS 250 for about the same price. I suggest the 5750. Or you can choose between Radeon 5770 and GTX 260, for about the same price, but higher than the 5750 or GTS250.

Solution

Gattsu

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I would also look at the quad cores as gracefully has mentioned. Duals a bit outdated now.

You should check ebay i Picked up a gtx260 for 120euro and its a beast!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
For Video / audio production, more RAM might help. To do that you would need larger RAM modules or more empty ones to fill, and a switch to 64-bit Win 7 which may already have come with your Win 7 install disk. But I don't know whether your whole system supports more RAM. This would make NO difference for gaming in most cases, unless you're trying to play games at the same time a a long video editing rendering job.

TRENDING THREADS