Sign in with
Your question

First WC setup, advice needed!

Last response: in Overclocking
October 31, 2012 11:17:40 AM

Hi all,

Currently this is my system:
- ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
- AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE (OC @ 4,01gHz)
- Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
- 8GB Corsair DDR3-1600 RAM (4x2GB)
- ASUS Radeon HD7850-DC2-2GD5
- Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HD103SJ
- Crucial M4 64GB SSD
- Crucial M4 256GB SSD
- OCZ Fatal1ty 550W PSU Modular
- Aerocool Xpredator White chassis
- LG Dvd drive
- Bitfenix Recon fancontroller
- 2x 120mm casefan (arctic f12) 2x 230mm casefan (came with case)

As I want to change my chassis for a new one (I'll be selling the current one) and I don't want to take my rig apart for just the chassis I came to the conclusion to finally start with watercooling. I am looking for a full tower case (probably CM Storm Stryker or Bitfenix Shinobi XL White) which will fit my WC setup. I was thinking about a loop with my cpu and gpu included. Could you guys give me some advice on which parts to choose (as I am a real noob on WC), if I should take a full cover GPU block or not and which case is the best for WC (like in 'it will fit all inside') I already read some starting guides on WC and I now which part does what, but the specs just overwhelm me. There is too much to choose from :p 

Thanks in advance!

More about : setup advice needed

October 31, 2012 9:04:50 PM

I read that post and as I stated, I know what the parts do. However, I lack experience in which brands and models to choose. I can't know that from reviews, there is so much choice. In PC hardware, I know which brands to choose and which ones to certainly not (sweex, asrock etc). I can't know this with WC (at least not yet ;)  ), so thats why I called in the help of the users of toms hardware.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2012 9:28:06 PM

tobitronics said:
I read that post and as I stated, I know what the parts do. However, I lack experience in which brands and models to choose. I can't know that from reviews, there is so much choice. In PC hardware, I know which brands to choose and which ones to certainly not (sweex, asrock etc). I can't know this with WC (at least not yet ;)  ), so thats why I called in the help of the users of toms hardware.
I read your post mate you need to show us what ideas you have then we will tell you if it works if you don't know what you'll need nor how to effectively set it up, what good does it do for us to just tell you what to buy? Then what? You still have to set it up, fill the loop, get air out, leak test and then maintain it for the life of the loop. We aren't going to be around to help with that so you come back with some parts and your loop idea then we can go from there ;)  '

November 3, 2012 8:48:24 PM

So I did research and I came up with the following possibilities for my WC setup.

Cpu Waterblocks:
EK Supremacy
Swiftech Apogee
XSPC Raystorm
Koolance CPU-380

Radiators:
Phobya G changer 360 ver 1.2
Swiftech mcr320 360
XSPC Rs360

Pumps:
Some kind of Laing D5 (looking for best price-performance):
Alphacool Vpp655 OT12 (Threads instead of barbs)

Reservoir:
Alphacool Cape Fuzion Core 10 Acetal Black
Phobya Balancer 150 Black Nickel

Tubing:
I got 2 30cm CCFL’s (white). Therefore I think clear tubing will fit me the best. I suppose if I add coloured coolant that the white light will neutralize the colour in the coolant? I’m planning to do a all-white setup, do you recommend white or clear tubing. I want to go with 3/8 tygon tubing, so only the colour has to be chosen.
3/8 Tygon Clear(or white)

Fittings:
EK-PSC Compression Fitting (ID 10mm OD 13mm) ¼” (silver nickel or black nickel)
Koolance Compression Fitting (ID 10mm OD 13mm) ¼” (silver nickel or black nickel)
Does the brand of the fitting really matter? Because the EK are 1 buck less per fitting.
Liquid:
I wanted to go with simple distilled water, unless some fluids give me a good advantage over distilled?
Fans:
Don’t know anything about fans. What is your advice?

GPU:

I currently possess a 7850 from ASUS. I saw that EK makes full cover blocks. Is it worth to get a full cover block or should I get a universal one?

Other stuff:
Fan grills for rad (to prevent damage during install)
Probably some 90 degree fittings

Case:
I am looking for a new case to put all this stuff in. Currently I’m thinking about:
CM Storm Stryker
Bitfenix Shinobi XL

I prefer (no offence) a window and a white colour, although black looks nice too.

General question:
Are casefans still needed when going for a CPU+GPU solution? If so, how many app (for a full tower)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
a c 177 K Overclocking
November 4, 2012 11:38:42 AM

Your "options" include just about every component on the market.

If you shine white light through a coloured liquid, the liquid will appear to be that colour. Same as sunshine going through a stained glass window.

Would make sense to me that if you want a white system, get white tubing.

Not really, though I have heard some bad things about EK's Nickel.

Only advantage to pre-mixed coolants is they often have anti-microbial/algae agents already in them. Other than that, there is no benefit to them over plain distilled.
Go with Distilled, has the best thermal conductivity and its easy to add a killcoil to stop things growing in the loop.

CFM doesn't matter, static pressure does. Popular fans for radiators are Corsair Quiet edition and Gentle Typhoons.

Its not worth water-cooling a 7850 IMO. A block for a 7850 would end up costing half the value of the card.
Full cover, universals arent that reliable or sturdy.

Have a look at the NZXT Phantom, comes in white and its pretty good for watercooling.

Depends on the case. But yes, you will need intake fans on the case, as the radiator fans have to move something through the radiators.

a c 190 K Overclocking
November 4, 2012 1:30:07 PM

Sorry for seemingly short answers, I was Pm'd about your thread and don'y have a deal of time atm, nightshift beckons :p 

Plain distilled, YES
EK Nickel NO!!! EK Coppers fine, just not their Nickel blocks
Rad choices all good except rS360, if you go Xspc, get the RX or EX series rads, AX don't justify the extra cost for performance imo and Rs are outclassed by the Ex at that thickness
Universals are a viable option for cards, but you also need ramsinks, fullcover you can only use on that model of card, and it often depends on whether your card is reference pcb or not, most non-ref don't get F/c blocks made for them
White tubing instead of white dye/coolant,
I'll add more when i get home in the Am, but check out the W/c sticky up top for some guidance,
We won't post you a shopping list, but we will assist you as much as possible here, at the end of the day, YOU need to know your loop, as you are the one watching and maintaining it
Moto
November 5, 2012 7:26:59 PM

Concerning the case: I really like the CM storm stryker. However it supports only 240mm rads.... :(  Will a 240 rad be enough to cool my cpu and a future gpu (like 7950)?
a b K Overclocking
November 5, 2012 8:29:19 PM

Your Case has many places for rads the side Fans can be removed for a 360mm x 30mm rad. 140/120 rad on back- 240/280rad on bot and the 240 rad on top. and the only moding you have to do is remove the fans from the side plate.
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 6, 2012 5:20:01 AM

^I love the modding spirit man, keep it coming :) 
+lots to Qun's advice, you want more rads, you make them fit somewhere, don't feel that you can only get a 240 in because thats what the manf says, get creative, check out the W/c gallery for ideas, think outside the box, literally, I know plenty of folks with rads on top, on the rear, on the backside of the case, even external radboxes like myself and 4Ryan6 use
Moto
November 6, 2012 7:39:53 AM

thequn said:
Your Case has many places for rads the side Fans can be removed for a 360mm x 30mm rad. 140/120 rad on back- 240/280rad on bot and the 240 rad on top. and the only moding you have to do is remove the fans from the side plate.

You mean the CM stryker or my current case, the xpredator?
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 5:50:40 AM

I see. its much like my own case- drilling holes is a must in your gonna keep it.

Do you have the grilled 4 fan side panel because that offers many options for water cooling if you don't need to open your case a lot.
a c 150 K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 5:54:28 AM

Have you checked to see if your Phenom II can hit above 4ghz?

IMO you should really spend your WC money on better upgrades...
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 6:23:53 AM

Also I saw you were unsure on what products to buy I am a big fan of Koolance water blocks for Cpu's and Ek for gpus. I feel that pumps/rasds/tubes/fitting are all the same regardless of company.
November 7, 2012 7:46:37 AM

thequn said:
I see. its much like my own case- drilling holes is a must in your gonna keep it.

Do you have the grilled 4 fan side panel because that offers many options for water cooling if you don't need to open your case a lot.

Yes I have that one. However if I put a radiator there the purpose of a windows is lost I believe :p 

IMO you should really spend your WC money on better upgrades... said:

I once tried to bump up the multiplier to 4.5 ghz, gave me bsods. Tried bumping up the voltage to a higher random level but still failed. Gone back to 4.01 for now which is stable. I think I should do a proper procedure once.
November 7, 2012 7:47:40 AM

thequn said:

Yes I have that one. However if I put a radiator there the purpose of a windows is lost I believe :p 

IMO you should really spend your WC money on better upgrades... said:

I once tried to bump up the multiplier to 4.5 ghz, gave me bsods. Tried bumping up the voltage to a higher random level but still failed. Gone back to 4.01 for now which is stable. I think I should do a proper procedure once.
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 8:16:25 AM

There is very very rarely an instance where 'random level' gets a good results in clocking,
you are right though, check out the Black edition clocking sticky and do it right, see what your chips real limit is, although a 955 is the lower end of the PII range, they still clock well
Moto
November 8, 2012 12:45:51 PM

Now busy with OC ing, ill keep you posted.

On the case: I got an offer from someone to buy his Obsidian 800D for 170 euros. The case has never been used, got all stuff still in the package. Only thing is that he enlarged 2 mobo holes (used onyl for the biggest size of mobo) by drilling to fit his reservoir. However he decided not to go with the case because his watercooled 680's wouldn't fit. Is this a good deal or should I go with the CM storm stryker/keep current case?
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 8, 2012 12:52:50 PM

Its a £200+ case so if you can live with/utilise the extra holes, go for it :) 
Moto
November 8, 2012 2:38:24 PM

Followed the overclocking guide. Wouldnt boot at 4.3 with auto voltage, however it wouldnt boot either with manual voltage which was cranked up every time all the way up until 1.5V, after that I gave up in fear of frying my CPU. Got it running at 4.2 now at 1.48V, seems stable however in Prime 95 my 3rd core immediately quits....
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 8, 2012 5:51:08 PM

Yup, auto voltage is NOT your friend when clocking, I don't use Prime to assess stability unless someone demands 'proof'. I load up Mse, Malwarebytes and whichever game I'm on at the moment,
Run MWB on full settings, give it five minutes then start up MSE on full, let them both finish (Byproduct here is you get your system cleaned hehe)
then re-run and boot up your game, if your Pc can handle that load then I call it stable, its not like you are going to ever actually have 100% usage so a more realistic load is a good measure of stability to me,
Good going though, Don't go over 1.5v though and monitor your temps :) 
Moto
November 8, 2012 6:38:28 PM

I got an issue with voltages.... My mobo keeps cranking up my volts by about 0,02. I set my volts on 1.48V but CpuZ gives me 1.5(1)V, what am I doing wrong?
November 8, 2012 7:16:11 PM

I'm retreating for now, switched back to 4.01ghz with auto volts (which always worked fine). I tried turning off load line calibration but got the win8 introductory screen which wiped my libraries and afterwards a unreadable BSOD with artifacts.

(tried editing my previous message but it gives me a permission denied....)
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 9, 2012 11:52:08 AM

Use the quick edit to edit your posts if you get the 'you are not allowed to edit' message,
its the middle of the three icons on each of your posts,
apart from that, yes your Psu will slightly vary the voltage, I set mine at 1.485v and it will often show at 1.5, its just a variance in current that the Psu can't quite level and as long as you never go over 1.55v (Amd) you won't fry it
4GHz is a nice enough result from a 955 so enjoy gaming on it and maybe go for broke when you can afford for it to be replaced
Moto
November 14, 2012 7:38:02 PM

2 questions:

1. I want to go with the corsair SP120 quiet edition fans for my rad. Good idea?
2. I want to go with this pump http://www.alphacool.com/product_info.php/info/p806_Alp... however it says it had G1/2" outer threads. Can I just put compression fittings on them? I'll be using 3/8 ID 1/2 OD tubing.
a c 330 K Overclocking
November 14, 2012 8:41:48 PM

Take a closer look at compression fittings and the fittings on the outside of that pump...You'll find they are both male threads. Also, most compression fittings are G1/4" while this states G1/2". If you can find compression fittings that are G1/2" female, you should be in business.
!