Can't finish formatting XP Pro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am trying to format 20GB HDD and install XP Pro I get past the time zones
and name the computer, then all of a sudden the screen goes black & then a
box comes up called display settings: To improve the appearance of visual
elements.Windows will automatically adjust your screen resolution. Press OK
to exit. If I press OK the screen goes crazy with lines and color, & nothing
gets it back. I even unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in and still
the same. I put a different monitor card {AGP} in but it didn't help.
Any ideas will be great
Bruce

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Deny the adjustment change and continue. What happens then?

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I am trying to format 20GB HDD and install XP Pro I get past the time zones
>and name the computer, then all of a sudden the screen goes black & then a
>box comes up called display settings: To improve the appearance of visual
>elements.Windows will automatically adjust your screen resolution. Press OK
>to exit. If I press OK the screen goes crazy with lines and color, &
>nothing gets it back. I even unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in
>and still the same. I put a different monitor card {AGP} in but it didn't
>help.
> Any ideas will be great
> Bruce

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

sounds like its setting your screen res/refresh rate to something that your
monitor cannot handle, try another monitor and see how you go, or just dont
let it adjust your res by clicking cancel or no or whatever the other option
is, once you get into windows you can adjust it manually

"Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I am trying to format 20GB HDD and install XP Pro I get past the time zones
>and name the computer, then all of a sudden the screen goes black & then a
>box comes up called display settings: To improve the appearance of visual
>elements.Windows will automatically adjust your screen resolution. Press OK
>to exit. If I press OK the screen goes crazy with lines and color, &
>nothing gets it back. I even unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in
>and still the same. I put a different monitor card {AGP} in but it didn't
>help.
> Any ideas will be great
> Bruce

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

This was copied from a later post by Bruce Lawrence. Placed here to keep
thread in line.

Bruce stated:
I still cannot get in. I tried three monitors but the same thing happens. If
I click OK screen goes screwy the only other thing I can do with this box is
close it by "X" at the top when I do that the same thing as clicking OK
happens.
Frustrated but still trying
Bruce

"sandman112" <sandman112@nomaiforme.com> wrote in message
> sounds like its setting your screen res/refresh rate to something that
your
> monitor cannot handle, try another monitor and see how you go, or just
dont
> let it adjust your res by clicking cancel or no or whatever the other
option
> is, once you get into windows you can adjust it manually
>

> "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> >I am trying to format 20GB HDD and install XP Pro I get past the time
zones
> >and name the computer, then all of a sudden the screen goes black & then
> >box comes up called display settings: To improve the appearance of visual
> >elements.Windows will automatically adjust your screen resolution. Press
OK
> >to exit. If I press OK the screen goes crazy with lines and color, &
> >nothing gets it back. I even unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in
> >and still the same. I put a different monitor card {AGP} in but it didn't
> >help.
> > Any ideas will be great
> > Bruce

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks LTravel:
Now i know
The problem was either monitor card or monitor, but works fine thinking more
monitor.
"Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I am trying to format 20GB HDD and install XP Pro I get past the time zones
>and name the computer, then all of a sudden the screen goes black & then a
>box comes up called display settings: To improve the appearance of visual
>elements.Windows will automatically adjust your screen resolution. Press OK
>to exit. If I press OK the screen goes crazy with lines and color, &
>nothing gets it back. I even unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in
>and still the same. I put a different monitor card {AGP} in but it didn't
>help.
> Any ideas will be great
> Bruce

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Questions:

1. Was XP running before the attempted format? Or is this a new
install/upgrade?
2. If not, had you run the Readiness Test:
3. You seem to be confusing Monitor with the graphics card? Test with a
working one.

--
All the Best,
Kelly