Can't finish formatting XP Pro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am trying to format 20GB HDD and install XP Pro I get past the time zones
and name the computer, then all of a sudden the screen goes black & then a
box comes up called display settings: To improve the appearance of visual
elements.Windows will automatically adjust your screen resolution. Press OK
to exit. If I press OK the screen goes crazy with lines and color, & nothing
gets it back. I even unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in and still
the same. I put a different monitor card {AGP} in but it didn't help.
Any ideas will be great
Bruce
5 answers Last reply
More about finish formatting
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Deny the adjustment change and continue. What happens then?

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >I am trying to format 20GB HDD and install XP Pro I get past the time zones
    >and name the computer, then all of a sudden the screen goes black & then a
    >box comes up called display settings: To improve the appearance of visual
    >elements.Windows will automatically adjust your screen resolution. Press OK
    >to exit. If I press OK the screen goes crazy with lines and color, &
    >nothing gets it back. I even unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in
    >and still the same. I put a different monitor card {AGP} in but it didn't
    >help.
    > Any ideas will be great
    > Bruce

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    sounds like its setting your screen res/refresh rate to something that your
    monitor cannot handle, try another monitor and see how you go, or just dont
    let it adjust your res by clicking cancel or no or whatever the other option
    is, once you get into windows you can adjust it manually

    "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >I am trying to format 20GB HDD and install XP Pro I get past the time zones
    >and name the computer, then all of a sudden the screen goes black & then a
    >box comes up called display settings: To improve the appearance of visual
    >elements.Windows will automatically adjust your screen resolution. Press OK
    >to exit. If I press OK the screen goes crazy with lines and color, &
    >nothing gets it back. I even unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in
    >and still the same. I put a different monitor card {AGP} in but it didn't
    >help.
    > Any ideas will be great
    > Bruce

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    This was copied from a later post by Bruce Lawrence. Placed here to keep
    thread in line.

    Bruce stated:
    I still cannot get in. I tried three monitors but the same thing happens. If
    I click OK screen goes screwy the only other thing I can do with this box is
    close it by "X" at the top when I do that the same thing as clicking OK
    happens.
    Frustrated but still trying
    Bruce

    "sandman112" <sandman112@nomaiforme.com> wrote in message
    > sounds like its setting your screen res/refresh rate to something that
    your
    > monitor cannot handle, try another monitor and see how you go, or just
    dont
    > let it adjust your res by clicking cancel or no or whatever the other
    option
    > is, once you get into windows you can adjust it manually
    >

    > "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to format 20GB HDD and install XP Pro I get past the time
    zones
    > >and name the computer, then all of a sudden the screen goes black & then
    > >box comes up called display settings: To improve the appearance of visual
    > >elements.Windows will automatically adjust your screen resolution. Press
    OK
    > >to exit. If I press OK the screen goes crazy with lines and color, &
    > >nothing gets it back. I even unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in
    > >and still the same. I put a different monitor card {AGP} in but it didn't
    > >help.
    > > Any ideas will be great
    > > Bruce

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks LTravel:
    Now i know
    The problem was either monitor card or monitor, but works fine thinking more
    monitor.
    "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >I am trying to format 20GB HDD and install XP Pro I get past the time zones
    >and name the computer, then all of a sudden the screen goes black & then a
    >box comes up called display settings: To improve the appearance of visual
    >elements.Windows will automatically adjust your screen resolution. Press OK
    >to exit. If I press OK the screen goes crazy with lines and color, &
    >nothing gets it back. I even unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in
    >and still the same. I put a different monitor card {AGP} in but it didn't
    >help.
    > Any ideas will be great
    > Bruce

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Questions:

    1. Was XP running before the attempted format? Or is this a new
    install/upgrade?
    2. If not, had you run the Readiness Test:
    3. You seem to be confusing Monitor with the graphics card? Test with a
    working one.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    > Thanks LTravel:
    > Now i know
    > The problem was either monitor card or monitor, but works fine thinking
    > more monitor.
    > "Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >>I am trying to format 20GB HDD and install XP Pro I get past the time
    >>zones and name the computer, then all of a sudden the screen goes black &
    >>then a box comes up called display settings: To improve the appearance of
    >>visual elements.Windows will automatically adjust your screen resolution.
    >>Press OK to exit. If I press OK the screen goes crazy with lines and
    >>color, & nothing gets it back. I even unplugged the monitor and plugged it
    >>back in and still the same. I put a different monitor card {AGP} in but it
    >>didn't help.
    >> Any ideas will be great
    >> Bruce

Configuration Formatting Microsoft Windows XP