Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can a dual GPU card run PhysX with ONE whole GPU dedicated to that?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2010 4:36:22 AM

Can a 9800GX2 or a GTX295 be used to run PhysX 100% by dedicating ONE whole gpu for just physX? Obviously single GPUs can run physX but my question can the dual GPU card be used to separate the processes and handle physX without using another PCie lane?
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 10:03:55 AM

liquidsnake718 said:
Can a 9800GX2 or a GTX295 be used to run PhysX 100% by dedicating ONE whole gpu for just physX? Obviously single GPUs can run physX but my question can the dual GPU card be used to separate the processes and handle physX without using another PCie lane?

I have no idea, but even if it were possible it would be a stupid thing to do. The second GPU won't help in games, so you basically lose half of your performance to add so glitter to 2-3 games. GG :kaola: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 10:39:57 AM

I dont think so
Dual GPU act as Single GPU in a sense.
So,
You cannot dedicate one GPU to PhysX
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2010 5:09:08 AM

I wonder if anyone has tried to make a gpu work as a single unit for parallel computing for physX or Cuda while one is used for playing........ maybe utilizing a homemade patch to a driver?!
m
l

Best solution

a c 216 U Graphics card
February 13, 2010 5:12:01 AM

hallowed_dragon said:
I have no idea, but even if it were possible it would be a stupid thing to do. The second GPU won't help in games, so you basically lose half of your performance to add so glitter to 2-3 games. GG :kaola: 

Of course if it's simply a matter of a few settings, you can easily change it from SLI to dedicated PhysX when you need it. In games like Batman it probably would perform better.

I've been curious about this as well.
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2010 3:28:22 PM

if you can disable the internal sli, i don't there wouldn't be any reason why you couldn't have one of the gpu's dedicated for physx
m
l
February 18, 2010 3:27:33 AM

Best answer selected by liquidsnake718.
m
l
!