Sign in with
Your question

Input Please

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2010 4:25:28 PM

Ok gang, here is my first "true" build from scratch. I have been researching this for quite some time now and this is what I "think" I would like to go with. I would love some input on what they think of this setup before I order everything. I am just looking for a respectable system at this point not the best of the best. I am trying to do what I can afford. I would like to go a step higher on the CPU but that would set me back another 300bucks. So I just figured I would OC this one well :-) Also I would love to hear a bit on GPU's , I went with what I think would work well but again I would like to run SLI and can't dump 6 or 800 bucks on video cards....So far I have purchased the case and the PSU, the rest is a click away .....here goes

Case: Antec 1200
PSU: Corsair 750TX
Mobo: EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED 3-Way SLI + PhysX
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz
RAM: 3 Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
HDD: VelociRaptor 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
GPU: 2x GeForce GTS250 1G (SLI)

More about : input

February 8, 2010 4:34:00 PM

What are you doing with the computer? What's the budget?

Some glaring problems:

HDD: VRs are the worst choice imaginable right now. If you spend $250 less, you can get the bigger, faster, quieter, cooler Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB. Save your money.

GPU: nvidia is getting killed right now. Don't touch them. Either wait for Fermi if you're a die hard fanboy (which I will berate you for), or grab an HD 5xxx series. I believe that with the VR gone and some additional change I'll make you CAN afford the biggest, best GPU available:HD 5970 for $650

Mobo: No reason to get a 3-way board. Here's a cheaper, more future proof board: Asus P6X58D Premium for $285. It's also in combos with Windows 7 if you need it.

RAM: Here's cheaper, faster sticks: G.Skill Pi Series 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 for $180.

Cooling: You mentioned overclocking, but didn't list a CPU cooler, which is a requirement for OCing. Get the Coolermaster Hyper 212 for $30.

Alright, with that all done, here's some other possible changes.

Assuming this is a gaming build, you should get an i5-750. It's just as good for gaming, but the build would be $250 less. Here's what would change:

CPU: i5-750 $200
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro $190
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
m
l
February 8, 2010 5:19:44 PM

Thankyou very much for your reply, My budget all the way around is about 1500.00 and the primary use of this computer will be for gaming espically FlightSimX I dont want to deal with 10-15 FPS anymore...I know that program is a major CPU hog.. I will be running Windows 7 on it. I wanted to get a mobo that gave me endless upgrade opportunities thats why I looked at the X58 extreme however I will without a doubt take your suggestion in mind... I had no idea what CPU cooler to get so I was hoping for an opion as well. I just added what you reccomended being the (Coolermaster Hyper 212 ) to my wishlist , thankyou for that. Im not partial to Nvidia what so ever in fact I have an older ATI card in my system now.. I was just told time and time again that flight sim plays much nicer with Nvidia over ATI..Have no idea if it's true..It's just what I was told.. As far as HDD I will take your advice as well,, would 2 Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB be good for running RAID0?
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2010 5:44:59 PM

With the budget, here's what I'd build:

CPU: i5-750 $200
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro $190
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
Optical: Cheapest SATA DVD burner $25
GPU: HD 5970 $650
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $90

Total: $1,270. You could stick in a SSD if you've got the money left. They're super fast, but very expensive. They're a better alternative to RAID if you're worried about speed.

As far as RAID 0 goes, I'm not a fan. With RAID, your failure rate doubles, as if one drive fails, you lose everything. That said, yes, the F3 would be good in RAID.

Another upgrade option would be the i7-860 for $280. It's just as good as the i7-920, but the platform (mobo and RAM) will be cheaper.
m
l
February 8, 2010 6:00:49 PM

Thankyou very much ...I really appreciate the help bud :-)
m
l
!