800Mhz or 1066Mhz?

Just been looking at this thread to see if it's worth upgrading my 800Mhz RAM to 1066Mhz:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/242744-12-help-memory-choices-ddr2-ddr2-1066

I cant work out what they're talking about when they mention overclocking and 1:1 ratios etc?

I'm upgrading to 4Gb RAM anyway and thought it might be best to get the faster RAM (I currently have 2x1Gb 800Mhz), so for the way I overclock currently (800Mhz slowed down to 667Mhz - using the 'maxmemclock' setting to allow a decent cpu overclock) I'm thinking that I'll just buy the faster ram, then slow it down a step below (to 800Mhz), which will be faster….but is it worth it?

I dont know how to mess around with RAM timings so just use the 'maxmemoryclock' setting for now. I dont think i'll ever be able to work out the RAM timing stuff.

Either way I want more ram…currently have 2Gb, want to get 4Gb.

I use XP (3.5Gb 'ish' limit I know) but will move over to Windows 7 soon.
7 answers Last reply
More about 800mhz 1066mhz
  1. An 800MHz one is fine, especially coz its DDR2 (phasing out)!

Don't spend extra on something which is not gonna last very long!!
  2. Yeah you have a good point.

I'll see what the price difference is
  3. According to some Tom's test there is almost no difference between 1066 and 1333mhz DDR3 RAM. I would imagine the same is true for DDR2, but I can't be sure.
  4. Also, only AM2+/AM3 CPU's have a memory controller that can handle 1066 RAM. AM2 CPU's (like the 5000+ X2 in your sig) can't use 1066 anyway, though it can give you some extra overhead when overclocking.
  5. ah better update the sig - i'm on an X4 965 now!
  6. Which motherboard do you have?
  7. Hi.

Don't waste ur money in a RAM that u won't see any performance increase. Get the 800MHz that is the best DDR2 price/performance and if u want OC it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Overclocking RAM Product