Cross fire cable lenght issue please help!

sexytommy

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
hello there i'm tommy from Thailand first time ask question in the forum (But i'm the big fan of the website) i would like to ask that could my normal cf cable can connect on my ASUS Rampage II Extreme on slot one and three?? because i connect my ASUS EAH5870 in CF mode on slot one and two i found it so hot!! while i'm playing warhead the temp. going like 90 Degree please help (i'll try connect at home tonight) sorry about my English and thks for the help

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

As far as I know, using ONE cable is sufficient. Also, connecting your cards in PCIe slots 1 and 3 make sense (for lowering temps) BUT be aware :

1. You will get a small performance drop (I think between 5-10%),
2. Make sure you change your settings in your BIOS (advanced>north bridge configuration>PCI express selector>x8 x8) Why? because if you dont, PCIe for slot 3 will default to a x1 bandwidth (ie terrible performance!)

Also, your crossfire connector will probably be too short. You can get one on ebay :

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=100mm+crossfire+connector&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I would recommend using PCIe slots 1 and 2 for MAX performance. If you're worried about temps place a couple of case fans (120mm) directly onto the cards and/or changing the fan profiles in CCC. This should help.

Good luck.

PS Thanks to the members who helped ME with this exact problem. :hello: