Fans of NF200

Solution
I have a feeling that a cheaper NF200 board will be on its way. To be honest, if you plan to waste your money on a triple or quad GPU setup, why would you care about pinching pennies with the CPU setup?

LGA 1156 provides a good value, a good deal better than LGA 1366, but there is no reason to get it when you go so far over the value-minded threshold to begin with.

Also, I am a bit worried about LGA 1366, it seems that Intel is planning to cut any new, cheap processors and port them to LGA 1156 and elave the $400-$500+ for LGA 1366. This is unacceptable and will screw over a lot of people. I myself am not worried because by the time I need to upgrade a 4.0 GHz i5 750, both LGA 1366 and LGA 1156 will be EOL. Hell maybe AMD will...
its a good idea in theory, but it makes the boards too expensive, and i don't really think that it is for x16/x16 its more for having a tri card setup (x16/x8/x8), as normally the LGA1156 processors only have 16 lanes which is enough for 2 x8 lanes and not 3

i am a fan, just too expensive

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Is the extra expense of the NF200 worth the savings of going with an LGA1156 platform over 1366? I think it might be, considering that there are now CPUs that are very adequite for gaming cheaper than the i5-750.

If a NF200 mobo has a premium that is equal or less than the premium of an i7 920 over i5-750, then yes, gamers should consider this option for multi-card builds. Anyone with a viable use for a hyperthreaded i7 might consider the 860 option, but then costs start equalizing in the comparisons.

Just buy 1366 and be done with it :D If you want HIGHEND, then buy HIGHEND. P55 + NF200, it's like a honda with bolt on "go fast" parts. If you want speed just buy it that way out of the box, GO x58.

(this comment is intended NOT to be serious)

These boards aren't cheap with the nf200, plus if you are pairing them with a 1156 i7, you may as well buy a x58 board, it costs the same. Now if you are going i3 or i5, ehh maybe. But chances are if you are going that route you aren't paying $200+ for a motherboard. I'm sure it has it's place though. Honestly if I was going on a budget, I'd just get an i3 and H55 motherboard with a single GPU solution. What else do you really need?

Who is going to get a P55 and run 3 cards? 3 cards = enthusiast. Enthusiast = Enthusiast equipment = x58.

I think the only bench that had any difference in a single or dual card setup was for FarCry2. Everything else was the same with a single or dual card setup.

AMW1011

Distinguished
I have a feeling that a cheaper NF200 board will be on its way. To be honest, if you plan to waste your money on a triple or quad GPU setup, why would you care about pinching pennies with the CPU setup?

LGA 1156 provides a good value, a good deal better than LGA 1366, but there is no reason to get it when you go so far over the value-minded threshold to begin with.

Also, I am a bit worried about LGA 1366, it seems that Intel is planning to cut any new, cheap processors and port them to LGA 1156 and elave the $400-$500+ for LGA 1366. This is unacceptable and will screw over a lot of people. I myself am not worried because by the time I need to upgrade a 4.0 GHz i5 750, both LGA 1366 and LGA 1156 will be EOL. Hell maybe AMD will start dominating again in the future, one can dream, but I digress.

Solution

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Yup because you're going for high end you're probably going to buy something like a i7-860 to go with your 3 5850's(you're doing it at cost lulz) frankly if you're buying 3 4 gpu's that need the extra bandwidth you probably could throw some money into buying a nice cpu to lower the bottlenecking and a nice monitor that "needs" your ridiculous set up. You're an enthusiast just settle down and buy your x58 evga board already.

Until i see a dirt cheap NF200+P55 board then maybe you can sake by with a tri fire 5850 and a i5-750

People complain about the expected short time till we get EOL on LGA 1156/1366 but frankly i think people are spoiled by LGA775 which was here for a very long time. It's not like AMD was so great and mighty they went AM2/AM2+/AM3 it would ease up on switch as one can get a cpu to fit their mobo kind of but it's not like AMD wasn't phasing out sockets if anything there were doing it much more often then intel but they were just being more gentle with the process.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Wow really? I always stated in previous threads that Nvidia was never really slacking off with their business but focusing on other SKU's and technologies rather than gaming and graphics cards. They now have motherboard support chips in the nf200 and the tegra and ion are proof that they have been working on many things since the release of the gtx200 line last summer.

3 way full SLI on an X58.... I dont think I will go there though. However this just sums it up. I wonder if XFX is coming out with a crazy X58 any time soon with all the goodies like usb3.0, SATA3.0, and now NF200. This beast could possibly cost $300 though..