Sign in with
Your question

Need to know difference between DDR/GDDR5 in video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2010 6:06:45 AM

Hello,

Probably not going to change anything since I already purchased and built my computer, but my obsessive compulsive nature always makes me check and recheck, and ultimately, regret purchases :cry:  Anyways, the question here is about the 5770. Specifically, about XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail and XFX HD-577A-ZHFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail. I don't see a difference except one says it is DDR5 and the other says it is GDDR5...oh yeah, this is my first time building and ever researching about computer parts, so I lack any knowledge about what GDDR is (except the small amount of information i could scour). If I understand correctly, G just stands for graphic memory? And there isn't a DDR5 available yet so it has to be a typo and it is indeed GDDR5? I am not sure if I am getting this correctly. I guess to simply ask, if it is indeed correct and not a typo, then would one make a difference or be better than the other? Oh, and one final question. I have read (and saw benchmarks) that show that the 2nd version of the cards are better (if slightly) than the first given that the case has adequate air flow...I just wanted to get everyone else's opinions.

Thank You!
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 6:41:41 AM

Both are the same
I haven't heard of any DDR thing in GPU, there always is GDDR
m
l
February 1, 2010 12:09:36 PM

Ah, i see..so I guess there isnt a difference then between the two? The one that says GDDR5 looks a bit different too..the shroud looks bigger?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 12:13:12 PM

G stands for Graphics
m
l
a c 126 U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 12:19:34 PM

either one is fine

GDDR stands for Graphics Double Data Rate and the the number at the end, in this case 5, represents the speed of the memory

m
l
February 1, 2010 1:17:05 PM

dont worry bro, that's definitely a typo, it should be GDDR5.

BOTH are GDDR5.

get whichever.

Gd luck. peace.
m
l
February 1, 2010 3:54:23 PM

My understanding is that GDDR# vs DDR#, the graphics version is optimized for higher latency but more bandwidth. GPUs tend to have more streaming of data, so the memory is optimized for that.

The reason why we're still stuck at DDR3 and Graphics memory is already at GDDR5, is that it's hard for PC makers to make new chipssets/etc every time a new memory type is released, while Graphics card makers have to redesign everything anyway.

Not only is it easier for Graphics card makers to use the newest memory because of of the control they have, but they also get a better return on more bandwidth. Most CPUs right now still need more cores to even use the current bandwidth of DDR3.
m
l
February 2, 2010 4:38:04 PM

GDDR or Graphics Double Data Rate memory refers to memory specifically designed for use on graphics cards. Currently, the following exist: GDDR2, GDDR3, GDDR4 and GDDR5.

Double Data Rate synchronous dynamic random access memory (also known as DDR SDRAM) is a class of memory integrated circuits used in computers. It achieves nearly twice the bandwidth of the preceding Single Data Rate (SDR) SDRAM by double pumping (transferring data on the rising and falling edges of the clock signal) without increasing the clock frequency :sarcastic:  :sarcastic:  :sarcastic: 
m
l
!