Can you deactivate oem windows to transfer to new computer?

DannyITR

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Hello,

I have a laptop which came with Vista 32bit 2 years ago. I have purchased and installed an OEM Windows 7 but the computer can't seem to handle it (only 1 gig ram). I'd like to revert back to Vista installation that is partitioned on the hard drive because I'm convinced it will be faster.

My question is can I un-mate that new Windows 7 installation from this computer so I can use it on one of my other PCs? When it was installed I think I chose automatic activation. Am I screwed out of $120 now with two Windows installations mated to the same computer?

If I reformat and revert to Vista on the laptop, will the Windows 7 installation install itself on another pc with no issues?

According to the license agreement, you are supposed to buy a new copy, as OEM copies are required to remain on the first PC they are installed on, but really... Microsoft isn't going to come after you legally if you do wipe it out on the current machine and install it on the PC you want it to remain on.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
But you will need to call them to get it activated as you will get a message to say this licence is already used (you may get lucky, some do) and online activation will fail, at which time you should get a window pop up with the phone number to contact.
I'll take a guess that you are not the first one in this boat they have had to deal with.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I'm surprised though that you say your laptop can't handle 7 if it was OK with Vista. 7's requirements are the same as Vista's but it's a bit more efficient with its resources so you should see it run better.

Before you revert, have a proper look through your 7 installation, make sure all your drivers are up-to-date, check for crapware and whatnot and what you're running as a standard system load and try to clean up.

If it doesn't help then yeah go back to Vista if that's worked for you.