Cypress Hill?!? 57xx, 58xx 2d problems?

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
How many of you are affected by Cypress inability to run 2d games?

I myself dont even see this as a problem? Are reports blown to proportions with this issue or is it hindering your preformance with apps and games?

Solution

The article wasn't about ATI. It was about 2D graphics performance on Windows. And according to AMD, it is driver-related (as you'd expect them to say, but we'll soon find out anyway).

Do you expect benchmarks of faulty mobile cards as well just to prove they are faulty when...

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

The reports are blown of proportion. Don't know why this is happening recently on Toms. ;)

Kewlx25

Distinguished
ATI said it's a driver thing and they've been busy with GSOD as it is. 2D & 2.5D accel can/will be added in the future via drivers.

2D accell does sound like it should be fairly easy and I would think setting aside just a few engineers to program these into the drivers would be easy.

I must say, I have no idea how much time goes into testing and fixing bugs for these things, but relative to 3D code, I would think 2D should be cake.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Just got away notty... your biased and your annoying, we don't need your input.

As for this "problem", I don't think it is all that dire, but it is annoying. I think the reason ATI is getting it pretty easy this time for the problem is that there are no alternatives at this point and wont be for at least 2 more months, so people don't complain because there is nothing else to turn to. 2d acceleration will be added shortly, it is just extremely annoying that they couldn't do that to begin with, but I guess I'm not a software or hardware engineer so I don't really have a say in what could and couldn't be.

To be honest, you have to see how easy people are going on Fermi right now. There are no good credible rumors about it. According to them, Fermi will have nothing more than an in between market place at best, but myself and many others are expecting a bit more. The same thing happened with the HD 2xxx, but who knows what will happen at this point.

Seeing as people have been RMA'ing cards since October at least, perhaps you're right. [:mousemonkey]

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271963-33-5870-white-dots-flickering

AMW1011

Distinguished

Do you expect much more of a new architecture on a new and troublesome process? A lot of RMAs are going to happen with the 5xxx series and Fermi, there is no way around it. One just needs patience and to understand that there is a price to adopting tech early, and this troublesome process is providing a great example to be sure. An RMA is not the end of the world. I RMA'd some mushkin RAM twice before getting a good kit, I didn't complain because it was based on a new memory chip and had some very aggressive settings, I knew the implications going in. That RAM was amazing by the way, as is the 5xxx series and, likely, as will Fermi.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Company's do not care about their customers unless there is money in it. ATI had problems with 2D acceleration, it isn't a huge deal. So then they went ahead and released the cards early to get maximum profit. That is what companies do, they maximize profit.

It sucks, but it isn't the end of the world either.

No, I expect there will be more as GF100 is supposed to have very little or nothing in common with the previous generation, unlike the HD5xxx series which is more of a 4 series on a die shrink with added DX11 than it is brand new from the ground up. And the current issues encompass the 4 series as well and how new is that?

AMW1011

Distinguished
If this problem has roots in the 4xxx series then why are we only seeing major coverage now? It seems odd to me to say the least.

Fermi will likely have about the same amount of issues as the 5xxx series. I realize that a lot of factors point to it having more, but nVidia doesn't seem all that rushed to finish it. I guess I am assuming that some of the extra time they are taking has been well spent by the driver team.

Considering the flack Nvidia get just for renaming their own products because it hurts the consumer by confusing them and the immoral way in which they keep their IP to themselves not forgetting the way they rip off consumers by charging such a high price for their products, I find it more than just a little amusing that ATi can get away with selling a card that does not appear to have been tested thoroughly enough it seems and can then increase the price of that card all the while waving off any problems that users mention and yet it's all fine and rosy because they are just a company trying to make a buck.

notty22

Distinguished

_+1
Its a huge flub up, which part ?, the 2d acceleration or every other card acting up? I'm having a chuckle with the fanboy here giving us his speech,
'I like getting badly engineered products, its to be expected, Thank You sir, May I have another, lol'
edit: I did a refined search with google, this is for the last 7 days only, 235 unique threads found here on this forum.
Results 1 - 10 of about 235 from tomshardware.com for i have a problem with my 5770.

With ATi in the limelight maybe more people are asking questions along the lines of "will I have the same or similar problems with this new 5 series card as I've been having with my older 4 series card?"

AMW1011

Distinguished

The thing you don't seem to see is that, what ATI did has been going on from both companies and MANY other companies for years. But I agree, ATI has gotten the better end of the stick this time. Then again I think the disappointment in nVidia is more of an accumulative thing than based on each incident.

You seem to be quite angry with ATI for some reason. No 2d acceleration sucks, I've said it before, but you do get the best cards on the market for their intended purpose, 3d acceleration. Also increasing prices by $20-$30 doesn't seem all that horrible when the cards are totally unchallenged.

I'm just not quite sure you understand that you are comparing these seemingly bad things to the 3-4 rounds of renaming, PhysX propaganda and mismanagement, cutting support for PPUs, and the delays of fermi. In comparison, ATI isn't doing all that bad.

That said, understand that I am NOT excusing ATI in any way. They screwed up and they took advantage of consumers. However, consumers have to be aware of this or they are not making very informed decisions, and nVidia has pioneered this dirty business. I condemn both companies. My point is that you must take a look at the whole picture, not just the positives or negatives.

AMW1011

Distinguished

I suppose it is certainly possible, but if these problems exist in the capacity and number we are lead to believe then I have a hard time seeing it as more than media hype. If there are large number of 4xxx series cards with the same problems and the same cause, then those cards are faulty and there is no driver problem. This would mean an RMA should solve the problem as even bad GPU warranties are two years, this can be good or bad news depending on how you see it.

I'm just not convinced. I wasn't convinced with the nVidia faulty mobile GPU "epidemic" either.

AMW1011

Distinguished

I said time and time again that I condemn ATI for this, why wont you go away and troll somewhere else!?

I did a refined search with google for the last month for problem with my GTX 285 and I got:
Results 1 - 10 of about 455 from tomshardware.com for problem with my gtx 285.

In the past year:

Results 1 - 10 of about 27,200 from tomshardware.com for problem with my gtx 285.

Not so bad now is it? And that is a far older and more mature card.

But many were (enough for a petition and/or lawsuit) and I'm not angry at ATi nor Nvidia as I have understood for many years that corporations are just out to make money, but unlike some I'm not going to blow smoke up either of their asses and as such why should I ignore negative articles about one when so many are quick to point to negative articles about the other?

notty22

Distinguished
A good example of a troll is AMW1011, even in his backwards hypocritical babble about ATI's current problems, he can't finish a sentence without spewing his Nvidia rants. What does Nvidia have to do with ATI finally announcing a problem with the 5 series only after THG calls them on it.

There is a big difference from someone trying to renaming the same architecture which looks like deliberate decieving of their customers, and having a bug they are trying to work out.

I personally have bought a lot of Nvidia cards over the years, probably 2-3 times as many as ATI, but I do have to admit that some of their deciet pisses me off. At least be honest and play fair.

Pricing is simply a matter of supply and demand. And I haven't seen any difference in flack about either card in this department.