RedMonarch

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
hi everyone, well im currently thinking about changing my graphic card and im not sure if my motherboard supports it, i have an ASUS P5SD2-VM
, Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 and a 600w power supply.

Look

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
What power supply do you have? The 5850 uses two 6-pin PCI-E power connectors, and your 9600GT only needs one. A splitter (included with the card) will work, but it requires 2x 4-pin molex connectors. The minimum recommended wattage for a single 5850 is 500W as well.

RedMonarch

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
i have a coolermaster 600w power supply. Well ive been researching a bit and i think the best solution is the ati radeon hd 5830 it has almost the same as the hd 5850 and it cos like 60 dolares less. What do you guy think?.
PS im currently thinking on ati cause i dont want to change my power supply for a bigger one

Look

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Either card will work, however your dual core may bottleneck the 58xx cards. Someone here can confirm/deny this, but I think that dual core is dated. Your PSU should be good, do you have the amperages for the 12v rail?

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

The 5830 is not a great buy, it is overpriced and performs closer to the 5770 than the 5850 while still being a large as the 5870 and using more power than the 5850...

Some say that can be compensate for by overclocking, but I'd still go for the 5850...

randomkid

Distinguished

That's a good way to go... But when you said you want the hd5830 is this because you thought it is enough for your current monitor resolution? What is you monitor resolution by the way?

Get the 5850 the 5830 is a bad choice also your Coolermaster PSU might not be up to the challenge yea it says 600 watt but I doubt it will put out even 500 watts they have been known to blow up when pushed to hard and will most likely take something with it when it goes.

Your coolermaster 600watt if its the one I am thinking of has 2 12 volt rails with 18 amps each and I think they will only put out a combined output of 30 Amps it is recommended to have at least 40 Amps on the 12 volt rail for a 5830 or 5850.

I recommend corsair or seasonic 550 watt models.

Corsair 550 watt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

You will notice this is rated for only 550 watts but will put out almost 10 more Amps then the coolermaster does on its 12 volt rail.

The Thermaltake one is good too but I dont like PSU with multiple 12 volt rails if you will notice alot of the companies are doing away with that.

Go to the link in my sig for more info.

RedMonarch

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
its not that expensive but the 5850 is, it al started when my monitor didnt work, now i enter a game and after several minutes it just turns off, everything else works fine, and i changed the monitor twice. But im not really sure what it could be and i dont know anyone who repairs pcs here in ca

So this happens just during game play?

Does your motherboard have onbord graphics if so test that to see if it does the same. It could be your PSU actually causing that if its not producing enough power.

Does the system restart or crash or does it just do nothing?

RedMonarch

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
at first i bought an lg and after a while it started saying power saving mode and it just stuck there for a long time. Then i changed it for a samsung cause i thought it could be the lg, but something similar happened. Every time i reboot the pc everything works fine except the games. I mean i can play for like 15 minutes and then it shuts down and theres a message in the monitor that says check digital connection. I asked around and they told me it could be the graphic card. i really dont know if my motherboard has onbord graphics, how do i test it?

Your motherboard does have onboard graphics what you can do is take out the 7600 and connect to the vga dongle right above where your sound connections. Your monitor should have a vga cable that came with it that you will have to use since there are no dvi output on that board then just install drivers for it and see what happens if it works without a problem then you need a new GPU.

RedMonarch

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
so what youre saying is that i take out my graphic card and connect what to the vga? the cable that goes from the monitor to the pc?. it actually came with two cables, a small one colored blue, the one that comes in every monitor and another big white cable, wich ive never seen before.

The whit one is DVI cable will will give you better quality picture and the blue one is vga cable. So yes take out the card and connect the monitor to the blue vga output on the motherboard. The 9600gt should have a DVI output you might want to try using that first to see if it makes a difference too.

RedMonarch

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
ok thanks saaiello, im going to try that but ill take it to someone who know how to do it cause ive got no experience on doing this kind of stuff. i think ill spend my money on a sapphire radeon hd 5870 toxic.

aoc27t

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

I actually have 1 for it, Works perfectly!