Sign in with
Your question

When will hard drive prices normalize ???

Last response: in Storage
February 12, 2012 8:00:19 PM

I really need to buy a new hard drive,but these prices really piss me off,so when will the market recover,any hints or information out there ???
a c 317 G Storage
February 12, 2012 8:07:29 PM

Likely later this year, too late for you since you need one now -- but there are frequent sales on specific models so watch for them at Newegg and other online retailers. If you need a big storage drive 3tb 7200 rpm for $170 take the drive out of this external, which was a good price before the flooding in Thailand.
Related resources
a c 317 G Storage
February 12, 2012 8:32:29 PM

yoji said:
Nice to see a hard core "Toms Hardware" fan frequenting the froums .... so much of a fan he misses the article on the front page :sarcastic: 

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/hdd-hard-drive-thailand-flood-prices-shortage,news-37736.html

Cheers

That's just an opinion piece, who really know when the manipulators will have to let prices fall to sell their wares, only time will tell. Personally, I need another 8 3tb drives for an array, but I can wait so I will. Let's try to be nice. :D 
a b G Storage
February 12, 2012 8:44:32 PM

RealBeast said:
That's just an opinion piece

Dont think there are any facts in this situation? its all guess/estimate/conjecture?

And always nice (wel... almost always...some really do try my patience). No harm in some gentle ribbing ;) 

Cheers

a c 317 G Storage
February 12, 2012 9:13:20 PM

yoji said:
Dont think there are any facts in this situation? its all guess/estimate/conjecture?

And always nice (wel... almost always...some really do try my patience). No harm in some gentle ribbing ;) 

Cheers

No, there certainly are facts but they will get spin from WD/SG to keep prices as high as possible as long as possible.

I don't blame them though since they are in a commodity industry, but hey we gotta worry about us not them -- if they want to make more let them innovate. :bounce: 
a b G Storage
February 12, 2012 9:31:01 PM

RealBeast said:
No, there certainly are facts but they will get spin from WD/SG to keep prices as high as possible as long as possible.

Thats Ture... but they also playing that game amongst themselves... so no-one has the full Facts.... so we are back to guess/estimate/conjecture ;) 

Cheers
February 25, 2012 8:55:20 PM

Try ebay. I saw some SATA drives fairly reasonable on there while looking for SAS drives.
!