Floppy Diskette Seek Failure, How do you fix the problem?

beach03006

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
using windows XP. I still use my floopy disc as a backup for data. After an update it failed to read the disk, tried many. It comes up with disk not formated. I tried to roll back the driver, this failed. So I put a unsed disk in the drive and tried to format it. The computer crashed with a black screen. The only way I got it back was to unplug it wait a while then plug in at which point it rebooted and run.

Remove the floppy drive from Device Manager. Turn off the PC, check the cables to the drive, reboot, have Windows detect it again. You should not really use floppy disks as a backup, they are very unreliable. Use a USB flash drive or an external disk. Not that those can't fail, but are a lot more durable than a floppy.

beach03006

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
thank you hang-the-9 Have followed your advice. When the computer boots up the floppy drive re-installs and i could transfer the data to my hard drive then to a USB flash drive, but when a 2nd floppy is place in the drive i get the old message disc not formatted. So after a number of reboots all my data is now on a flash drive.

beach03006

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012