How high should I overclock my 3770K/Hyper212Evo?

ngengerous

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hey,

I've purchased myself an i7-3770K and a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo and I was wondering how high I could push it before I stuff something. I'm a real n00b when it comes to overclocking and I thought I'd ask people who know their stuff before I blew up my new PC. At the moment it's running at 4.2 GHz @ 65c. Is that about the limit I should push it to?

fudoka711

Distinguished
4.2ghz is pretty good. Have you tried running prime95 to check for stability? That way you could try to get 100-300 more mhz out of your cpu. Also, is your cpu 65C at idle? Or is that when you're playing a pretty intensive game? Cuz if it's at idle I'd maybe check that the heatsink is seated properly or reapply the thermal paste.

But in all honesty, if you don't want to risk anything, then don't try to OC anymore, there isn't THAT much difference between 4.2ghz and 4.5ghz when you're using that beast of a cpu.

Thrallsman

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
I have both that cooler and cpu and have got it to a stable 4.5ghz. At idle it sits at around 28c and keeps below 54c when running Prime95. My 212 is in a Push/Pull configuration. Just thought that a similar report would aid you in seeing how these two fair.

Good luck with your overclocking!

footlong96

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
As high as your comfortable with. I like to kill my chips within two years so voltage aint much of a problem for me nor is heat. go 5.0ghz if you want. or stay stock. heck i even saw some lunatic (in an awesome kind of way) hit 6.8ghz on the forums. 1.9 volts was it? Dudes insane. Gotta love OC'ers

cbrunnem

Distinguished

Proof or you are lying. Or your room is artic cold. The very best coolers can't keep a 3770k @4.5 that cool and you are saying the cheap 212 can do it.... Yeah right

TRENDING THREADS