Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to remove intel gma 4500m chip?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 1, 2010 12:59:05 PM

I got a laptop Acer Aspire 5738z which contains Intel GMA4500M and i was wanted to know if i can remove that chip and install any other dedicated card. I know some laptops graphics can be removed and if you want to update sometimes you have to update the bios aswell. I just want to know if Intel GMA4500M is removeable and upgradeable or not.
Thankyou
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 1:03:07 PM

kam_90 said:
I got a laptop Acer Aspire 5738z which contains Intel GMA4500M and i was wanted to know if i can remove that chip and install any other dedicated card. I know some laptops graphics can be removed and if you want to update sometimes you have to update the bios aswell. I just want to know if Intel GMA4500M is removeable and upgradeable or not.
Thankyou


No it is not. Only a few types of laptops have the capability to remove and replace the graphics card. The integrated GPU is soldered into the laptops motherboard so you are kinda stuck with that. If you want a new GPU, then the only possibility is to buy a new laptop.
February 1, 2010 1:06:51 PM

Unfortunately, no. It is built directly into the motherboard, and even if you could remove it without damaging anything, installing a dedicated card would require a pci-e slot. If your particular laptop has an expansion slot, then you shouldn't have to remove the integrated chip, but as for putting a dedicated chip where the 4500 is, no.
Also, you would have to keep in mind that the power supply on a laptop is already strained, and probably couldn't handle anything powerful at all, and the heat produced by it would overwhelm the fans in the case. Hopefully this answered your question.

Related resources
February 1, 2010 1:07:07 PM

Thankyou for making it sure for me i was stuck cuz some say it is and some say it is not but i have never personally looked inside.
February 1, 2010 1:14:20 PM

thesupermedium said:
Unfortunately, no. It is built directly into the motherboard, and even if you could remove it without damaging anything, installing a dedicated card would require a pci-e slot. If your particular laptop has an expansion slot, then you shouldn't have to remove the integrated chip, but as for putting a dedicated chip where the 4500 is, no.
Also, you would have to keep in mind that the power supply on a laptop is already strained, and probably couldn't handle anything powerful at all, and the heat produced by it would overwhelm the fans in the case. Hopefully this answered your question.


hi, there is one more question. My GMA4500M on win 7 scores 3.3 for gaming graphics and my friend have same card and his scores 3.5 in vista for gaming graphics. Is it due to different driver or something?
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 1:38:11 PM

kam_90 said:
hi, there is one more question. My GMA4500M on win 7 scores 3.3 for gaming graphics and my friend have same card and his scores 3.5 in vista for gaming graphics. Is it due to different driver or something?


It is because of software drivers or because of hardware specifications. The same card with a more powerful CPU will score more or if the card has shared memory it will score more depending on the RAM used.
!